SPAM Military Vehicle Group Build

Member created Group Builds
speedgraflex

Re: SPAM Military Vehicle Group Build

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much for your thoughts, Stuart. Yes. There is an atmospheric element common to the photographs in Vietnam; that is something to recreate alongside the sticky red clayey mud on the tracks and drive wheels; that is going to be interesting if mud is where I end up...

:hmm:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Wow, I'm late getting into this one.

Bruce, there is a Squadron book on the M-41 Walker Bulldog. It shows tons of Vietnam-era pics of this tank. Also, they have another book on Armor in Vietnam as well; it might even be a two-part set. I envy you your chance to build a Walker Bulldog; nobody makes one in 1/72 scale plastic. Otherwise I'd have about three of them already as well as a Duster.

Carlos, you forgot to mention that we armor builders in the Dark Side have cookies!

Stuart, I'm in also. Not sure what I'll be submitting, but I'm in. I'll possibly start with the Roden 1/72 scale Vauxhall Ambulance.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I'm having a lot of fun with this - Why the hell didn't I get into this year's ago :headslap:

Cheers!

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

portman wrote: Either would be a great choice Carlos. They're smart looking armoured cars.
Well, I have decided on the 222. This kit comes with markings for this particular 222 in North Africa in early 1941, and I found a part in my spares bin for the box on the bow plate that the kit does not include. And I stripped out a few things from the 223 kit to dress it up...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Duke, thanks so much!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Those a great for reference Bruce!

On a side note, the US never used them in Vietnam, let alone in combat anywhere else. The ARVN used them, and used them well in combat. It’s actually probably one of the best light tanks used in combat, being able to knock out the heavier NVA T-54s at a favorable ratio.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

UNBOXING - TESTFITTING

There is a “white dot,” (technical term) on top of the turret which is Sprue A. I am not sure what that is. Sprue A, top turret, has no surrounding sprue; it is presented as “ready to go.” That’s a first for me in polystyrene.

The overall size is about that of a paperback book, and beautiful fit so far. Turret turns! The plastic has a floral fragrance which was trapped within the packaging; I am assuming this was packaged by someone wearing some heavy perfume... Stinky! Also, this plastic feels different.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:I'm having a lot of fun with this - Why the hell didn't I get into this year's ago :headslap:

Cheers!

• "Did you ever hear of armor modeling?"
    "No."
    "I thought not."
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

NIGHT WORK

Soaking these four parts in a solution of baking soda diluted with water seems to improve the smell by removing whatever stinky release agent is on the plastic.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote: Image
That's cool Stik - what's the difference between the 222 and 223?
Duke Maddog wrote:Wow, I'm late getting into this one.

Stuart, I'm in also. Not sure what I'll be submitting, but I'm in. I'll possibly start with the Roden 1/72 scale Vauxhall Ambulance.
Welcome aboard Mark! (and Yes I love cookies)
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/

Return to “Member Group Builds”