1/48 Tamiya Tiger I (late)

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
mustang1989

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Tiger I (late)

Post by mustang1989 »

This is looking as good or better than most of the 1/35 scale builds I see of this.

Looking forward to a diorama out of you. That outta be a complete showstopper right there.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

At the risk of going overboard again, I completely agree with Joe’s assessment of your work here. Perhaps the scale choice led to this creative freedom, but you really nailed this subject and made this kit sing a much larger song with a lot more notes and voices behind it.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
kahunaminor
Advanced Member

Post by kahunaminor »

Thanks guys,

I appreciate the comments and the sentiment behind them. I am really enjoying the build, it is a breath of fresh air. The Tamiya 1/48 AFV kits are truly gems. I am constrained by the rules of the comp somewhat as far as the use of AM is concerned but I have a couple more Tigers that can be more dressed up, or down.

Here is a stalled dio, the desert workshop. Eduard E-7; Tamiya Kubelwagen and some figures. I may have to finish it with the mojo boost from the Tiger:

Regards,
Kent in Oz
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Wow, I am a month late to respond to this incredible post, Kent. Accept my apologies, please. I was... I dunno... I missed the notification somehow. I just wanted to write that this idea looks absolutely incredible. I want to ask if there is a build log on the Bf109 E7 here or online because wow! Wow! Wow! That is something quite wonderful to see.

Is there a particular size that you find is best for a base? I am wondering if the base has to be square or if it is acceptable to go with a rectangular swath of all the action... but I don't know if there is a particular way of thinking about this.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
kahunaminor
Advanced Member

Post by kahunaminor »

speedgraflex wrote:Wow, I am a month late to respond to this incredible post, Kent. Accept my apologies, please. I was... I dunno... I missed the notification somehow. I just wanted to write that this idea looks absolutely incredible. I want to ask if there is a build log on the Bf109 E7 here or online because wow! Wow! Wow! That is something quite wonderful to see.

Is there a particular size that you find is best for a base? I am wondering if the base has to be square or if it is acceptable to go with a rectangular swath of all the action... but I don't know if there is a particular way of thinking about this.
Hi Bruce,
Thanks for the comments. It is one of my favourite builds. I normally don’t use a base, in fact this is the first time back in the hobby that I have considered a diorama setting. I have been reading posts and blogs and books on composition, placement and balance of the diorama. I think as long as the subject matter is contained within the boundaries of the base you are okay.

Here is the build log from Aussiemodeller:
http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/ ... nor+Bf+109

Regards,

Kent
Kent in Oz
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you for the link to your build as well as your thoughts, Kent. I started reading the build log and am following closely. I also noted a completed 1/32 build by you amongst your credits. Is this build on the same forum? I’d be curious and grateful. There is quite a lot of great solutions to problems in your projects—I particularly am studying the seam fills in this kit because these ideas will inform what I try. I think I see kinship in your approach to leave as little traces of modeling assemblage as possible. Also it’s fun to see Veggiemite on the workbench as a storage? Cheers!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
kahunaminor
Advanced Member

Post by kahunaminor »

speedgraflex wrote:Thank you for the link to your build as well as your thoughts, Kent. I started reading the build log and am following closely. I also noted a completed 1/32 build by you amongst your credits. Is this build on the same forum? I’d be curious and grateful. There is quite a lot of great solutions to problems in your projects—I particularly am studying the seam fills in this kit because these ideas will inform what I try. I think I see kinship in your approach to leave as little traces of modeling assemblage as possible. Also it’s fun to see Veggiemite on the workbench as a storage? Cheers!
Mate thanks,

I have three completed 32 scale builds (2 Bf109’s and a Fw190D). I shall dredge them up and post them appropriately. I think you will see the progression of my burgeoning skill levels as the 190 was about 10 years ago now and the 109’s are about 3-5 years.

One is here: http://www.aussiemodeller.com.au/forum/ ... 109#p39032

Regards,
Kent in Oz
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you, Kent. I just finished catching up to your present progress on the diorama elements—fantastic work! There was a lot to absorb, but I particularly found the fidelity to the source colors so strong! Wow!

Some screencaps I took for reference:

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
kahunaminor
Advanced Member

Post by kahunaminor »

Kent in Oz
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thsnks so much, Kent!!! You officially made my day! Cheers!!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”