1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Re: 1/350 Tamiya Prince of Wales "The beginning of the end"

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is some sensational work already! I'm surprised you got to paint all the deck hatches and other greeblies on that deck without spreading paint on the deck at the base of everything. Well done on the job; I know you'll do well and thank you for your support of our military.

Looking forward to seeing more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Thanks Bruce, Black Sheep and Mark.
I painted the turrets and made ONE Pom Pom AA. WOW what a pain, and I need to make 5 more!

I don't like the look of the small boat mooring poles so I need to work on those some. I have another Pom Pom to make for the Y quad turret before I move on to the superstructure. I may put it aside for a week to get back on the Swordfish but I'll see when I get the Pom Pom finished.
The new job is going well. I've been training all week and have three more days next week. It is very cool to know I'm working on defense systems. It drives me to be perfect at my job. You mess up a printer (I worked at HP in Boise) and people get frustrated, you mess up on a Raytheon product and one or more soldier, tanker, airman or sailor could die. The great thing is that everybody else I meet has the same conviction and are very proud of the military.

Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Beautiful work on the details!

Time consuming, but well worth the resulting accuracy/fidelity to the source!!! You mentioned also that you set a goal of one "new technique" per build... thank you so much for this idea. It's truly a great one for every project to include some degree of the "new" within what is a known pattern.

I found your work with the fishing line to be incredibly successful.

With your new job, your attitude is outstanding—and it must feel even better to know that this is a shared mentality. Again, this is worthy of your work as a modeler and your abilities to take care of those who use Raytheon systems. Very inspiring to read!

All the best!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

That's a great picture Bruce, supper reference. It looks like there's a crew of around 10 ...that means I need to get at least 60 guys just for the Pom Poms alone, wow. O well, crew really makes a diorama work. I'm staying away from the 2D PE crew and getting the 3D guys from Shapeways.
I also cut back on the rust on the turrets. It was an easy thing to do since I used oils.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

I was curious to see the guns in action and found this short clip!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Their kinda like the Bofers but smaller caliber. We called them Chicago Pianos and swapped them out for the larger caliber Bofers 40mm.

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Excited to see your progress! All the best! TGIF
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Modelcrazy wrote:Their kinda like the Bofers but smaller caliber. We called them Chicago Pianos and swapped them out for the larger caliber Bofers 40mm.
The US “Chicago Piano” was the quad 1.1” mount. After Midway and Guadalcanal they were replaced with the 40mm Bofors due to better range and weight of fire from the larger rounds upon impact. US ships did not use the British “Pom Pom”.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

What a cool photo and discussion, Carlos! I found this interesting:

https://navalairhistory.com/2012/06/28/ ... f-history/
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

Interesting article Bruce. Stick, thanks for the correction, for some odd reason I thought they were the same.

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”