2001 : A Space Odyssey AJA Models 1/48 Aries 1B.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
speedgraflex

Re: 2001 : A Space Odyssey AJA Models 1/48 Aries 1B.

Post by speedgraflex »

Floki wrote:Stunning Bruce! Thank you so much for sharing more with us

Thanks, Clint. Above, these are the three primers ILM used in the Seventies-Eighties on their models. Any ideas on how to match them?
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

mostrich wrote:
speedgraflex wrote:(...) yet at the same time I have been so extremely happy personally which changes the amount of free time I have to pursue the hobby.(...)
Sooo happy for you, brother. Sounds like you've found the one. :wub:
Also great to see you coming back on the model scene with a BANG!
Fingers and toes crossed, brother. I know you know, and that means so much to me. Take care of yourself. And I look forward to buying you a drink or two or three when we meet.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote:Ive seen some YouTube videos of the Aries being done, don't remember what scale but it was by Moebius I think. Yours is outstanding!
Hail Declan! I owe you a few replies on your stunning automobile projects on the forum. If you are curious, the way these Aries resin kits originated were with a buddy from Pennsylvania who masters military models. A fella named Adam Johnson in Florida contacted Scott and together these two talented gents created the first Aries kits in 1/48, which is what I have. I actually own two prototypes - one with interior and one without. These kits were marketed through the internet by Adam as the “AJA Aries,” with AJA standing for Adam J. Johnson. I don’t know how many were made, but I have only seen four built up versions.

Now, a decade later, Adam sold the patterns to Moebius and that is the basis of their styrene kit as far as I know. Monsters in Motion has a kit as well, but I am not clear about where the masters originate. As you are well aware, these garage kit fellas are mighty secretive about their patterns.

I ordered a big Orion spaceplane recently. Not the little one in plastic. The Beast. It’s huge. Uh oh.

42 inches long.

Built by Rob McFarlane of McFarlane Creative:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Beautiful! I have the little Moebius shuttle kit. That 42” bird is a tad too large for my display area…
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

speedgraflex wrote:
Duke Maddog wrote:Wow Bruce! I'd say you replicated the movie version perfectly! I don't see how you can make that any better, but I know you will,given your mad skills! Given that, I can't wait to see this with lights and crew!

As for having Carlotta in your life, I think you are more than lucky: you are truly blessed!

Live your life Bruce and we'll leave the light on for you whenever you want to return.
Thank you for leaving the light on, Duke. I owe you a phone call. I am afraid one of the realities of being with another person is finding time to be with friends at the same time. I recognize the syndrome from the opposite side of the street, as I am usually the one wondering when one of my buddies will emerge from the love cocoon again.
You're welcome Bruce! I have no worries about when we can talk again; I have several friends who found new loves whom I rarely hear from these days. LOL! Gotta be something in the water. :whistle: :giggles: I do look forward to your call, but I would love it even more if you came to Hobby Day in April to chat in person. Carlotta is welcome too. I think more can be done in person, but hey, no big deal. Family and significant others comes first so take whatever toime you need with her and savor every moment.

That Orion space plane is gonna be a doozy indeed and I will be thrilled to follow that when it comes. I have a 1/72 scale Millennium Falcon that is almost that size; I might just get it started when you do the space plane if I don't start earlier.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

The original model is on display right now at at the Academy Museum. I believe Christopher Nolan helped purchase it… for $250,000.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”