Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket

Highlighting the aircraft during the interwar period between WW 1 and WW 2. Military and civillian. There are some great and colorful subjects and a number of air racers. Tuild one, Build them all!

Runs from July 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022

Carlos Cisneros (Stikpusher) and/or John Eaton (jeaton01) are moderators of this one.
Stikpusher

Re: Grumman XF5F-1 Skyrocket

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good Tom. But I might suggest doing the engine crankcases in gray. That was the standard color used on US engines.

Here’s a Wright R-1820, same engine type as used on the F5F, on a C-47

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you. Yeah, I kinda questioned myself on the color call out in the instruction guide. Oh well... not gonna go back and repaint.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

LyleW wrote:That is looking great!

Thank you Lyle. Almost thought I lost the instrument panel but thankfully I found it in the weirdest spot. My aircraft parts spares box. :bag:

Now I can’t seem to locate the clear parts, particularly the canopy since I did mask it. I’ll do a search soon. Would be better to paint it while it’s on the fuselage. If no luck finding it, I’ll have to find a replacement canopy in a form of vacu form canopy. I’ve found a couple hobby sites that has them.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

No pics but some progress made. Props have decals for 3 color prop tips (red, yellow blue)... all 12 - 2 per prop blade - front and back. Screw that. I painted them instead. I need to touch up some spots where flat black pulled off the tape, yellow mist on black prop blade or two, and a couple blue stripes needs touching up. Overall, it looks pretty good... definitely better than decal prop tips.

Engine cowls painted, engines installed, top cowling need to be glued to lower portion before attaching to wings. Fuselage needs to be glued to wing, and find the missing :headbang: canopy/clear sprue. :headbang:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I can never get those prop tip decals to work out. Then never seem to fit properly. Good to see you are modeling after my style.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yellow Wings Decals makes a sheet that has the three color prop tips and propellor company logos. They work well enough being in squares to fit most any size prop in the scale, and you just trim them up once dry. I used them on my TBD build several years back with no problem. Probably will be using them on my Buffalo as well, as the kit decals look like they will fall apart once they hit water :sad:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Even with liquid decal film? Geez! I don't blame you for going aftermarket!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Progress pics I promised

Fuselage side and nose views.

Top and bottom engine nacelles

Dry fit of assembles nacelles on wing.

Propellers painted! Painted on tips looks better than using decals.

A close up shot...

I measured the tip bands of the decals. They're exactly 1/16th of an inch each. I cut a few strips of tape using Frog Yellow Painter Tape. First paint is yellow after I masked off where 3/16 ends from the tip of the blade down. - 3 mist coats and let dry.

Next, I take my first 1/16th strip and mask the center yellow stripe - both sides. I cut mine wide enough so the front strip tape will mate to the backside of the prop blade. Just press them together back to back to get a nice uniform look.

Now paint the bottom bar blue and let dry - 2 mist coats should suffice.

Once dried, mask the blue stripe just as I did with the yellow.

Paint the tips red tips - 2 light mist coats.

Once it's dry, remove the tape strips carefully. Don't let it dry overnight or the tape will pull up your color stripes.

Another tip: don't burnish the tape strips - just let the excess tape touch each other to hold in its place. Airbrush in light mist coats. If you do this, you won't have runs underneath the tape. Worked for me.

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great work on those prop tips Tom, the build is coming along nicely - I really hope you find your canopy and clear parts!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Heh... I haven’t looked for them yet. But I will soon. The only hint I’ll have is they’re already masked up and ready for paint.

Return to “Yellow Wings and Golden Era GB”