ZSU-23-4M Air Defense System

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

ZSU-23-4M Air Defense System

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Since I am sidelined with the Skyrocket due to needing silver paint, I have decided to tackle my newest Armor kit I won at Syrcon this past October. I've been working on it since Thanksgiving morning and most of Thanksgiving night until 12:30 this morning.
Here are progress pics...

The DML (Dragon) kit

Imagescreenshot studio

Fiddley bits on the Commander's Cupola

Topside fiddley bits and right side armor. I need to finish gluing this piece before doing the other side. My method is glue a section at a time to ensure I have a strong fit. Will proceed again tonight before doing the opposite side.

Turrent shots. All the basic fiddley bits glued on.

There are some tiny gaps that needs to be filled in so I'm going to use Mr. Surfacer instead of putty.

Unrelated to Armor, my wife asked me the other day whatever happened the the metal bomber kit she got me for Christmas last year. I completely forgot about it and told her I need to get on that. I found it sitting on my desk drawer. It's the Metal Earth Photo Etch kit of the B-17 Flying Fortress.

“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Re: ZSU-23-4M Air Defense System

Post by Stikpusher »

That’s a great kit! You’ll enjoy building the Shilka.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Very interesting cover art!

In the background one can see the tail section of a passenger plane belonging to British Airways... looks like a B747... Hmm, really curious to know is there a connection with reality... :hmm:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
KennyX
Elite Member

Post by KennyX »

That’s really cool looking!
Kenny X
Head Mother Trucker In-Charge @ Kenny X’s Reichs Winzigkleines Flugzeugewerks *and now* Airboat Records, too!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I did a bit more work on the ZSU-23-4M today - mostly more fiddley bits.

There's one thing I've learned when working with DML Dragon armor kits: work slowly and carefully. Too many tiny fiddley pieces that are better off saving for last just before laying down paint. I am a bit confused on a pair of pieces placement. The instruction guide seems vague exactly which position it should be. I'll have to post a pic to show you what I mean. In the meantime, I'll do a bit of search for a walk around of sorts to get a clearer picture and understanding of the placement.

The kit does provide me several versions from Iraqi, Syrian, Russian and Czech. I'm leaning toward doing Czech version. Since the kit was a raffle prize, it was missing a decal sheet. So, I'll have to seek replacement decals from Dragon, aftermarket decals, or none at all since some don't carry markings at all.

More to follow.....

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

KSaarni wrote:Very interesting cover art!

In the background one can see the tail section of a passenger plane belonging to British Airways... looks like a B747... Hmm, really curious to know is there a connection with reality... :hmm:

- Kari
The kit originally came out shortly after the 1991 Gulf War. I’m pretty sure that the artwork depicts the Kuwait City airport. But whether it is the 1990 invasion fighting or 1991 liberation campaign is best guess... I would guess the latter as the Iraqis coonterattacked the USMC task force there near the end of the war.

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Stik for the info!
I just knew you would know! :-)

Of course, did not even think of Kuwait back in 1990/1991

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Desert Storm is a great subject area for modeling. Such a huge variety of subjects and nationalities. Even Brazilian and South African made stuff!

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Blacksheep that is sensational already! Nice work man! I envy you this model as so far nobody has kitted one in plastic in 1/72 scale. I need about six of them if I want to fill out all my armies that used this.

Keep it coming man, I love watching these modern vehicles getting built.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I've been busy last night....

Top and bottom hull buttoned up...

Turrent...

Gun turrent carriages….

This is the set-up for turrent guns....

Spotlight assembly...

Oh yeah, I stopped at Hobby Lobby this afternoon and got this...

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”