Fine Molds Millennium Falcon WIP

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
Floki
Elite Member

Fine Molds Millennium Falcon WIP

Post by Floki »

Alright this is my biggest project to date and I'm glad to be able to share it with you guys. My wife got me this kit for my birthday 3 years ago but I couldn't start it until I got the house remodeled. Well its done now and I have a few builds under my belt now since being back at the bench. One awesome thing about this she got it from ebay and it came with a lot of extras for a very good price. The extras are Madman's Fast Tramp freighter lighting kit, Don's Light and Magic clear engine parts, Outer Space Outfitters Panel kit that I'm not going to use and Acreation Models PE set that I will only be using about half of. I've also got for this a mess of LEDs some more wire and 1000ft of fiber optic line. Then for the parts I'm most excited about some 3D printed stuff from shapeways. I've got a new cockpit that is just amazing, the top gun tub that is also just a huge improvement over the kit parts, engine fans since the kit leaves these out all together, a group of 6 R2 units and two gonk droids.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Fine Molds Millennium Falcon WIP

Post by Floki »

I got bogged down on the landing gear the baffles at the bottom Fine Molds had molded them solid but they should be open. No problem I have the PE set well I didn't like the PE they seemed to thin and it was hard to get them to be just the right shape. So I figured it wouldn't be that hard to just open up all the holes on the kit parts. 7 baffles Each baffle has 3 rows of 18 holes it wasn't hard but did take a long time, but I really like the end result.
Started hollowing out the kit engine fan holders to take the 3d printed ones and the PE grills. It's another slow step that has to be done. I've also hollowed out for the two lights that are recessed between the mandibles.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Looking at the blueprints and rewatching the films to see where all the landing lights need to be placed at. From the official blueprints that aren't screen accurate fan made blueprints and from what you can see on screen I tweaked my final light positions.

Odin's sons... Attack!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Started working on the ramp next and I'm very happy in the way it has came out. Fine Molds got this part completely wrong. The first cut always a scary thing on such an expensive kit.
Photo I was using to figure out my cuts
After I got them cut away with a razor saw and cleaned up a bit I glued them to the sides of the ramp.
Then using Miliput I filled in the gaps.
That was then sanded smooth drilled out holes in the ramp "interlock?" and added the drop down pegs of the interlock in the top part. Also added a new roof to the area since it slopes with the ramp also added the 6 holes for the lights. I will light that area with two leds I have cut a hole in the top of the original ramp roof to be able to add them later.
The new ramp pistons was made using .032 music wire and 1/16 plastic tube along with some other styrene strips. The pistons still need some cleaning up but that will be after the glue has fully set up. I know there is 3 sets of pistons in total but I am only going to have 2 sets for one getting the rear most in will be very tricky and two you wouldn't be able to see them with out picking the ship up and looking in there and NO ONE is going to be doing that lol.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

This should be good...

:popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

On the LED side of things I have added some styrene tubes over the landing lights holes to help hold the LEDs. Have also started on building the light box for the engine lights using some 1mm black styrene and some thinner white that was easy to bend. I then lined the top bottom and back with some aluminum foil to help reflect all the light out the back.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Painting started with some Tamiya fine grey primer. Next some preshading with some Tamiya XF-1 Flat black. The base coat is a mix of Tamiya XF-2 Flat White and XF-55 Deck Tan in a 4:1 ratio (Flat White 4: Deck Tan 1).
Then masked off everything to spray the grey and red. First the grey was sprayed using a mix of Tamiya XF-20 Medium Grey and XF-1 Flat Black (4:1 ratio). Then the red sprayed using a mix of Tamiya X-7 Red and XF-9 Hull Red this mix was around 50/50 but more Hull Red was added (few drops) to darken it up a bit more until I liked the color. After it dried I gave it a clear gloss coat using Krylon UV-Resistant Clear Acrylic, I love this stuff since finding it.
Got the Madman Lighting kit all hooked together and tested. I made it so the board cant roll around inside using some scrap plastic. Then started the long process of soldering all the leds for the flood lights. Got them put in place and used miliput to lock them in place, after that dried I hooked up all the + and - leads and checked to make sure they are all still working.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I got the cockpit and top gun tub painted using vallejo paints and my wet pallet.
Next I got all the fiber optics ran in place and lit! I lost count a bit but there are around 500 strands in the rear wall, top controll boards, center control console and the gun tub. Out of a 500ft. roll I have about 50-60ft left. All are being held in place with matt Modge Podge I've read that CA glue isn't good for them and the test I did proved it, the CA disintegrates them.
After I got the gun tub and cockpit tube welded onto the top hull I started cleaning up the fiber optics.
Hooking up all the + and - leads I used some springs to trap them then tacked them into place.
I know it looks like a mess in there but it's a controlled chaos. Last a short video of the lights working
https://youtu.be/9Lh35SOGEp8
Odin's sons... Attack!
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I got this build up to speed now. Got some of the weathering done I still need to work on the exhaust stains I'm not happy with them. I've started working on the base too nothing to show yet just got done cutting the wood.

The weathering started with a filter of MIG The Filter Brown for Desert Yellow on some panels and others picked out with MIG The Filter Grey for Dark Yellow. Then streaking using MIG oil and fuel stain wash, MIG dark rust, and MM Burnt Umber. The last thing was a pin wash over all the panel lines and details using MIG dark wash. Thanks for looking in let me know what you guys think.
Odin's sons... Attack!
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

You are a madman to do all that fiber optic wiring! :wow:

This project fits in here just fine. But I might suggest another more restrained go at the upper surface streaking. Radiating outwards, as opposed to straight back, doesn’t look quite right...
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”