AMT Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
GAF

AMT Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser

Post by GAF »

I haven't posted this anywhere, so this is a good thing to start out here at SPAModeler. This is the Round 2 re-pop of the AMT 1/650th scale Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser model. This is supposed to be a gift for a friend, so it's not going to be a big scratch-building project with lights and things. Just a basic OOB build to go along with the USS Enterprise model I gave him a few years ago.

I didn't take any assembly pictures, and the model is already in base paint, the two-toned scheme called for and apparently accurate to the film model. Assembly was a bit of a chore, for the instructions were not exactly clear as to where to glue the parts, so I had to go back to images from the internet to try to ascertain how to place them. It all turned out okay in the end. Then there was the filling and sanding. The gaps needed some tender loving care, and I don't think I've completely taken care of the seams sufficiently. I'll be doing that later.

Painting the model is a hit and miss effort. I only use spray cans and brushes, so the weather is a big factor in my projects. It's too cold to paint right now, so the final touch-ups are on hold for "warmer" temps. The model was first base coated with Testors "Semi-Gloss Primer", a medium gray that has that slightly "violet" color. The "green" is Rustoleum semi-gloss "Sage". The command structures at the front / top I did not spray Sage, but found an acrylic paint at Hobby Lobby that matches the Rustoleum very closely. Once a coat of matte is applied at the end, I think no one will be able to tell the difference (well, my friend won't, at least).

That's where she stands now. Awaiting touch-up on the seams and detail painting for grills and openings.

Thanks for looking!

Gary
speedgraflex

Re: AMT Klingon D-7 Battle Cruiser

Post by speedgraflex »

Welcome aboard, GAF. Lookin’ good. You’re building a beautiful model. Here’s a shot of the filming miniature from the DS9 episode “Trials and Tribble-ations.” The mold it is based on is the original series version.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Kor approves
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
GAF

Post by GAF »

Thanks, guys! I guess I should have clarified that the paint scheme is for the ST:TOS version. Other paint schemes varied.
Wish I had that DS9 model!

Oh, and this is what she is the companion to:

This was done for a "Hooray for Hollywood GB" some years back.

If you note, the only thing special about this is the base which has the UFP emblem on it. I printed it out and glued it on. I intend to do the same thing for the D-7 with this emblem.

We'll see how it all turns out.

Gary
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice!! The Enterprise looks awesome too!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

There ya go!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

That is... a beautiful Enterprise, Gary!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
GAF

Post by GAF »

Thanks for those! Who's Paul?

It's interesting to me that all the cool guys say the miniature had a greyish-violet upper surface, and the rest of the body was greenish. I can't tell the difference in those photos. It all looks greenish to me. :hmm:

Gary
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

My bad! I corrected my mistake, Gary. Here’s another shot I have:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
GAF

Post by GAF »

Thanks, Bruce! I've been called worse! :giggles:

Yes, I've seen that shot and a few others. It's a bit of a can of worms, as noted in this old thread I kept for reference.

https://www.hobbytalk.com/bbs1/99-scien ... tions.html

Lots of repaints and questions. The two-tone scheme seems to have been confirmed by Robert Justman, but I wonder just how much of a tonal difference there was. Anyway, I'll go with what I've got so far.

Thanks for the pics!

Gary

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”