Brandon Good's 1980 Malibu Project-Chassis & Interior-05/31

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
mustang1989

Brandon Good's 1980 Malibu Project-Chassis & Interior-05/31

Post by mustang1989 »

Ok gang. I'll be switching back to aircraft for one build after the 454 SS Silverado that I'm building but after that I've been wanting to build something a little outside of the box (quite literally). Something other than a Camaro or Mustang or anything that's typical in a muscle car. I wanted to go with something that is considered "bland" by the mainstream and jazz it up.

I first became inspired by this car 3 years ago while in San Antonio visiting my wife in the hospital. I needed something to read while she was resting so I had picked up a copy of that months Super Chevy and lo and behold there she was.....a car that I felt that I MUST build. So.....I picked up a resin kit and have continually been picking up things that will help me to recreate this masterpiece of a car.

This will a be my first stab at a resin kit. I'll be going with this new aquisition...…...a 1979 Chevrolet Malibu from Star Models that I'll be building as a 1980 model:

I'll have to replace the suspension to give this car a pro street look but I've already got that covered with the chassis from this kit that I acquired last week: (my "go-to" kit for all Pro Street needs)

and some Weld Alumastar wheels that I just picked up from Ted's Modeling : (and I've already had my machine shop here at work cut the width down on the rear wheels to something that'll handle the tires that I'll be using)

to give it a look like Brandon's car:

and the real reason I wanted to build this thing............the engine. There'll be lots of Molotow and Alclad II going through my airbrush is all I've gotta say.

mustang1989

Re: Brandon Good's 1980 Malibu Project-Gathering Parts

Post by mustang1989 »

Started gathering some parts for this bad boy today. I had to wait till I got paid so I could punch the order button. I can hardly WAIT to get started on this one.

We're gonna start with a 1/25 scale 3-D printed Blown Brodix Big Block Chevy with all the trimmings from Shapeways. Had to buy the carburetors with the kit which are not correct but I'll use 'em on a future build. It should be built sometime in mid April and get to me a few days later:

Here's a more robust set of 4500 series Holley carburetors:

and a set of Big Block Chevy block hugger headers:

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

What an incredible engine. Looks like it's made for a tank.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This should be epic to say the least. I expect it to run as well.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:popcorn:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Should be another stunner. I'd like to do one of these stock.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks guys.

Bruce: That's the article that I got the idea from. Really stoked about this one.

Torben: lol. Yes sir it does. lol

Lyle and Carlos: Thanks for droppin in guys. I'll see if I can at least get a set of keys for it Lyle. :giggles:

Lee: 'Preciate it . I cant think of any stock kits outside of resin ones. These here go for around $55 which was a bit much for my liking anymore but had to have it if I'm going to build this thing.
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Who makes it? It looks like a stock kit. $55 aint bad when you consider a plastic kit is almost $30 now.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Can’t wait to see that big block come together.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”