FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1945.

speedgraflex

FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1945.

Post by speedgraflex »

Welcome. Here we are. Sing to me, O Muse.

Red 7, W.nr. 330168, flown by Uffz. Johann Twietmeyer of 10./JG77.

I posted the above image to one of the 109 Facebook Groups to see if any of the experts knew anything...
Crickets. Nada. Zip. Zilch. What is “massive silence” in German?
Ich will in Ruhe meinen Kaffee trinken.
Im Fahrstuhl läuft leise Musik.
I asked Marius (Bolleken) If he had some ideas.
He did. Great advice:
"Go with the image you sent;
Go with your thoughts."
This is another profile from the same unit he found.
Thanks so much, Marius.
Sincerely.

I found this a moment ago.
I am adding this here!
Even though this is not the specific Red 7...
This is a K-4.
Several K-4s.
K-4s in color.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1

Post by Stuart »

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

I'll be watching this one with interest Bruce.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks so much, Stuart.
Your interest and ideas are greatly appreciated. I am grateful. Truly.
Also—thanks for the popcorn!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

This should be cool.

Just some thoughts on markings- as I understand, Luftwaffe Fighter Wings, the Jagdgeschwader or JG, were broken down into gruppe or groups: I, II, III, and occasionally IV. These were identified by markings carried aft of the Balenkreuz: nothing for I. Gruppe; horizontal stripe for II. Gruppe; vertical stripe or horizontal “M” wave for III. Gruppe; “S” wave, cross, or a circle for IV. Gruppe.
Each Gruppe is then usually broken down into three Squadrons or Staffeln. To identify Squadrons within the Gruppe, that’s where the colors came into play. They are colored sequentially. 1., 4., 7., and 10. Staffeln used white numbers. 2., 5., 8., and 11. Staffeln used black or red numbers. 3., 6., 9., and 12., Staffeln used Yellow numbers. BUT.... there is always a but, occasionally some Gruppen had four Staffeln. In those cases, the fourth Staffeln of the Gruppe: 4., 8., 12. and potentially 16. were to use blue numbers and the white, red/black, yellow sequence would start over again at 5., 9., and 13. Staffeln. Apparently Green would be used in place of blue in some units.
Now, this does not,take into account outline colors, commanders choosing personal colors and numbers, etc. Brown is another, non listed color, that was seen used as a replacement for an “official” designated color.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
AtomCat109
Advanced Member

Post by AtomCat109 »

This is gonna be sweet!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos, that is extremely, extremely useful information! Subject choice just happened this way but both FM subjects are based on kit decals, for better or worse. My plan is to paint the crosses. I just think the design being squared quadrants within a square I should be able to make that happen. The Hornisse is going to dictate whether the spiral is painted by hand or not. I feel there is a photo somewhere of the aircraft. I started the Hornisse build the same way—without a photo to guide me—before turning up what must be the photo FM used for the markings. I think it is a lead pipe cinch that there is a photo somewhere of this aircraft as part of the Bodenplatte group assembled on Dec 31, 1945... or had been assembled before then. Taking a photo would make sense as this was an important operation.

Atom, thanks for starting this Group Build! I am excited to be participating!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Possibly some photos may exist of the unit prior to Bodenplatte. That specific aircraft? The odds drop. But ya never know. There is a great book, “To Win The Winter Sky”, that covers the air campaign associated with, shortly before and during the Battle of the Bulge, with emphasis on the Bodenplatte Operation. A very enlightening read if you find a copy.

Oh yes, I did a bit more digging on Staffeln colors. Green was supposed to be used on Geschwader and Gruppe Stab assigned aircraft. Still looking on brown... :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos, Menzel was part of the group:

I have the decals to do White 1...
or rather I can cobble the decals from the FM kit.
Stille Wasser sind tief.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

There ya go Bruce! From looking at unit photos, you can surmise how an aircraft should look, if you can’t turn up photos of the actual aircraft.
The book that I mentioned said how many of the aircraft in the Bodenplatte mission were new production aircraft, almost fresh from the factory, and barely flown. The “fall miracle” of production dispersion by armaments minister Albert Speer was able to produce replacement equipment for the German armed forces to make the Ardennes operations possible. Tanks and aircraft were built in greater numbers than before. But fuel shortages made possible training with them minimal.
It is interesting to see how few late war JGs kept their insignia by late 1944. Only the multi color Reich defense tail bands differentiated most units.
Oh yes, a bite more digging turned up this information on brown for a number color. It was used in two different situations: first, in place of red in those squadrons, or second, if a Gruppe had five Staffeln assigned, it was the color of the fifth Staffel.

More things to ponder... :hmm:

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

So.....when does construction on this awesome project start?

Return to “Messerschmitt 2019 Group Build”