FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1945.

Stikpusher

Re: FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 19

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:Image

Model Building Brothers and Sisters of SPAM! My brain just exploded! Thank you very much for your support. I went in again with the Detailer Brushes and madness madness madness ensued. I think I used a lot of paint in the model building sense. There is a bit of a build up around the beginning of the spiral itself; but that part was driving me crazy anyway. Now to have the patience to let this dry for 48 hours before a clear coat. ARRGH.

:bag:
The look of the spiral is :quotes: spot on :quotes: Much better than any decal. Just like invasion stripe decals, spiral stripe decals tend to look too perfect. They both lack the minor visual imperfections that are commonly seem on the real deal. Intentionally or not, you nailed that look Bruce. Now go find something to fill the next 48 hours.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Hey Lyle! Thanks for your advice about pondering too much. I needed to read those words.

Hey Carlos! Likewise. I needed some good advice and you always provide it.

And to everyone who wrote earlier, which includes the two of you, my thanks. It was because of your replies that I stayed the course and kept refining what was there.

I believe in what Carlos and others wrote about doing things to create the proper feeling. Too often we or at least I become infected by the look of the perfect object. The beauty is in its uniqueness. Even a factory built plane has its unique stories.

Writing of beauty, Anya Chalotra, the female lead of “The Witcher” is one to watch. I am about halfway through the series.

So that will be at least 4 hours deducted from 48!
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Spinner spirals are hard aren't they? Only rarely, will a paint mask provide a finished look that I'm happy with. I usually have to perform touch-ups after the initial spiral shape is sprayed to address any kinks, oversprays or other imperfection. Brush painting usually leaves marks so I resort to ultra-fine airbrush work for my touch-ups. I've never done a spiral in 1/72 scale so I can't really give you any practical advice. But I've wiped off many spirals and started from scratch because it is such a focal point in the build... it's important to nail the look that you are happy with. The shape is excellent but it is a little rough around the edges. Maybe a little touch-up with Micromesh to cut the buildup down?
John aka JKim
-----------<><
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

The other correction-slash-addition will be to remove the corner edge flash on the lower air scoop and add the Edward etched grill.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Me like !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thank you and Happy New Year, Kari! Congratulations on a new four-legged member to your family! My friends Sam and Choncey adopted two cats at about the same time and they are wonderful additions!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Happy New Year to you too, still some hours to go though!

And thank you, our adopted cat Misty is truly an extra ordinary cat, after only a few days she is like she would always have lived here. Amazing!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

For your newest family member, Kari.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

“An impression of correct detail is not necessarily the correct detail... I believe this to be especially true for smaller scales like 1/72.” - Martin Warligorski, IPMS Stockholm
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Bruce I think that your results on that spinner are far beyond what I can do. As Carlos said, you nailed it perfectly. I look forward to seeing you move on.

Now I have to go checkout Kari's new cat. I have two of them myself....
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Messerschmitt 2019 Group Build”