FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 1945.

speedgraflex

Re: FM 1/72 Bf109K-4,9JG 77 White 1, Düsseldorf, Germany, 19

Post by speedgraflex »

I am using white cel animation paint and white Prismacolor pencil free hand. It’s a challenge, but I believe worthwhile.

The little penknife belonged to my grandfather. It’s very useful for gently scraping away paint. I’m not sure if that is of interest to anyone.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Bruce, I think your method here is giving a most realistic look. Especially when compared against photos of surviving un restored original spinners.

And it’s nice to know some backstory on an item that’s worth knowing. If you picked it up at Target, Walmart, Sears, or wherever, it’s mundane. But being passed on from your grandfather, it assumes the family heirloom aura, being passed from one generation to another.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

speedgraflex wrote:I am using white cel animation paint and white Prismacolor pencil free hand. It’s a challenge, but I believe worthwhile.

The little penknife belonged to my grandfather. It’s very useful for gently scraping away paint. I’m not sure if that is of interest to anyone.
Details matter Bruce, they do!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Looks great Bruce! "The devil is in the details" they say and you are making this look stellar with your extra efforts! Very cool using your grandfathers' knife to work on it. Brings us closer to the ones we miss with objects like that.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I agree, details matter and I'm thrilled to see how well that works in your hobby. Everything is looking magnificent Bruce, you're putting my own work to shame!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos—I look forward to whatever you build next very much. My February joining anniversary for Spam is on my mind these days!

I agree about details, Carlos, Kari, Brent, Duke! I just wonder why perhaps the most unprofessional tool I use is my favorite? My grandfather always looked to the stars (astronomy was his hobby) to find greater meaning for himself. Perhaps this reminds me that I am not at the center of things... and that we humans are not either. Was it Timothy Leary or someone else who knowingly called our planet “Spaceship Earth?” That always resonates. The other reason is truly this little knife can do things well!

I just found out the seat style changed from the G to the K series! The bottom “bucket” is wood! How m’I gonna do that, fellas?

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Well, I would paint it with a tan first; then after it dries, I'd paint it with a darker brown color using a very coarse bristled brush to simulate wood grain. Add some hairspray to the seat and paint the interior color. Afterward, use water to remove some of the paint on the seat to simulate the wear from the pilot sitting on it.

Just my humble suggestion; someone else may have a better idea.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Thanks, amigo! I was thinking about carving or assembling pieces of balsa wood then debonder for the Eduard PE to take the seat apart like Humpty Dumpty, but I think a good paint job is far more realistic and practical. I need to also add the triangular trim and two protruding circles to the seat back, I guess with styrene. Any ideas?

Off topic of seat, I would like to include the spinner hub development montage just to keep these images with the thread:

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

speedgraflex wrote:I just found out the seat style changed from the G to the K series! The bottom “bucket” is wood! How m’I gonna do that, fellas?
Well, the good news is that since it was painted, you really don't have to do anything! That's the easy answer. A base coat of a wood color + hairspray + Dark Grey RLM 66 could get you a worn seat...

But keep in mind that the seat harnesses might get in the way of viewing the worn areas...
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That spinner still looks amazing. I think styrene would work for those parts you mentioned. For 1/72 scale; I agree, paint is better. If this was a 1/32 or even 1/48, I'd recommend the balsa wood ideas, but in this scale it's almost overkill. Why make things harder than they need to be? Life is tough enough without us adding to the difficulty I always say.

Looking forward to seeing more.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

Return to “Messerschmitt 2019 Group Build”