Stuart's Jet Thread

All things jet, no props and Stik...no armor even though the M1 is turbin powered.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Jet Thread

Post by Stuart »

I've got three weeks vacation/holiday at the end of July and the start of August - so I'm not going to have any bench time. To kick the GB off I might do an interim build before I start the Phantom (or anything else) so I don't have to put it down.

I'm thinking of doing something with this...

...and the sprues..

If you don't know it, the Hawk 200 was a single seat fighter variant of the pretty successful BAE (Hawker Siddeley) Hawk series of trainers. First flown in 1886, it was intended as a cheap (£3000 per flight hour) and easy to maintain light multi-role fighter. Only 69 in total were built but they're still flying today and have seen some combat with the Royal Malaysian Air Force.

To my mind I still think it's a shame that the RAF didn't pick this up, even in small numbers. I know at the time it really wasn't needed, but it would have been good for us to support out own industry (we also should have gone with the BAE EAP rather than the Eurofighter but that's another story). It might well have made a good point defence fighter for areas such as the Falklands, Belize, Hong Kong etc. whilst the more expensive aircraft were kept back in the UK and Germany as part of NATO.

So I'm going to go some form of what-if/what could have been build - marked up in RAF markings. The kit itself is pretty basic and I'm going to have to do some work on it to get it away from the prototype airframe it's based on. I'm probably not going to get any AM as that moves away from the spirit of building a Matchbox kit, so I'm just going to add a few SB bits such as pylons etc. I'm not certain yet if I'll bother with the wing tip mounts. The Hawk was a bit low on power and short legged, so I think all 7 pylons loaded might be over kill.

This is kind of what I'm aiming at (To my mind it is such a nice looking profile). I have some penguin anti-ship missiles that might look good. I might also build it in flight. I'll certainly have to add an RWR to the tail, and some other bits including the outer pylons

With maybe markings like this...

Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

:popcorn: Oh this will be good.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Looking good Stuart! Matchbox kits are always fun to do.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks for the interest guys!

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Add one more of us to the pile of folks that will be watching this one come together. Rock on bro!!
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Joe!

I've made a start tonight, nothing photo worthy, Just sat on the floor of the living room with the model on a tray, painting bits up and watching Foyle's war

I'd forgotten how much I love the Hawk, such a great looking aircraft! .

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Asides from an Extradecal set of RAF Hawk T.1 decals I've also ordered this as a donar kit. Not only can I rob some pylons and Sidewinders from it, I can also use the various strakes and Lexx's as templates.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Oooo… nice scheme!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

portman wrote:Asides from an Extradecal set of RAF Hawk T.1 decals I've also ordered this as a donar kit. Not only can I rob some pylons and Sidewinders from it, I can also use the various strakes and Lexx's as templates.

I've always wanted to get that kit. At one time, BAE was thinking about entering the Hawk AJT into the T-X program here. I'd like to get one and paint it like it had won the competition.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:hmm: I wonder what stopped them from entering it? The Hawk is a superb Trainer with a proven history (and is already being used by the USN).

That would be a great idea Mike - it's a great kit. I've built a few of these Airfix Hawks before, they're great kits.

Thanks for the interest Guys!

Return to “Jet GB by Portman”