Stuart's Me410 (Matchbox 1/72)

Stuart
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Me410

Post by Stuart »

pzl66 wrote:Nothing wrong with having more Schmitts!
This is true!

I'm pretty much there now, I've just a couple of small bits to fix up and some clear coating & weathering to do.

I had a bit of a breakthrough with this one. I managed to get the paint done with pretty much no brush marks, and then had a terrible time with the pre-decal gloss coats on the wings. I hate clear coats – I’ve tried about 8 different ones – and try as I might I just can’t get a brush mark free coat, and this one was terrible.

It really annoys me, because this has happened to me time and again. What’s the point of working on a good mark free paint finish if it gets ruined by clears?

:whiteflag:

Anyway, I sat back and thought about it for a good few hours. I hadn’t gloss coated the fuselage yet and I wondered about just putting the decals on over the paint. The trouble is, I know that these old Matchbox decals can get a bit messy and I knew it would damage the paint.

And then it hit me. I’ve found through a lot of testing that the best way to get a mark free finish with paint is to avoid Gloss and Satin – which is why I don’t paint with either. So why the hell should clears be any different? So I matt coated the fuselage and nacelles with Vallejo matt (with has a nice slight sheen to it), and then put the decals over that. Okay there is a bit of silvering, which is probably down to the poor decals – but more importantly there are hardly any brush marks. This is something I’m going to be working on over the next few builds as bloody clear coats are the bane of my life.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

That there is a BEAUTY! Excellent work my friend!
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Just popped in my head, are you able to use testors clears in the aerosol can?

Their dullcote works really well, only down fall is the price of it. The canopy looks great too.
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks PZL!

I've not tried Testors, but I have used can's before. The issue I have with them is that they can be a bit inconstant - but then some brands might be better than others. I'll take a look.

I was quite pleased with the canopy - not bad for a free hand job. I still have a few bits to touch up on it.

Floki
Elite Member

Re: Stuart's Me410 (Matchbox 1/72)

Post by Floki »

For a great clear coat try Mr. Hobbys Mr. Super Clear. They level very well.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Ditto. Try using UV Flat Clear. I have used that puppy “in the can” for awhile now, and the finishes are all good so far several years later... and California sun is merciless.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Oh yes get the UV cut formula think it's only a dollar more per can, I can get on average three models per can.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

:shoutout:

When I saw this I thought, “He’s done it!” To me, this is the kit at its best. You transformed it to its ideal self, and the finish is mesmerizing. That’s how good it is. I mean, “Eureka!” If you really wanna know what I think, just set this aside and let it breathe for a few days, then take a peek at it again. Call it a curing stage, if you will. I think there is nothing left to do besides a slight stabilizing of decals, but even that seems to have been done by your breakthrough of techniques. This just works. It succeeds. It’s brilliant.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thank you Bruce - that's a very kind thing to say! I am pretty pleased with it I have to say, even with the clear coating mishap on the wings! It's not quite done yet - I just have to add the aerial mast and wire, and maybe some rust/soot on the exhausts an then we're finished.

Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

I think it looks great! I have used Future on surfaces for leveling them out, nice thing is if it gets messed up it can be removed with Windex real easily. I have never used it on Acrylic paint before so that is a question mark for me.... Typically I shoot it with a Testors rattle can of dullcote after the decals are on and coated with a protective layer of Future, it also gives the dullcote a better surface to adhere to and not run off the decals

Return to “Messerschmitt 2019 Group Build”