PZL-Messerschmitt Flugzeugwerke GmbH

pzl66
Master Member

Re: PZL-Messerschmitt Flugzeugwerke GmbH

Post by pzl66 »

Thanks Joe and Carlos!

She is looking good for the next step. Now in my mind last night I was pumped to do the main scheme, forgot that I have to paint the white band on the fuselage first and mask it off from the scheme. A royal pain in the ass.

Right as I got the finishing surfacer on I noticed the PE part on the cowl was slightly crooked. Had to remove and reinstall and respray the area, good now.
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Did some painting tonight but ran out of time to spray RLM79. Just three quick pics of the painting process up until what would be RLM79

Like many others do, I also lay down some flat white as a first color sprayed. Then I cut Tamiya tape into a 2mm width to create a border and then mask off the rest of the white band.

Next color is RLM78 only where it is needed.

And how I mask the aircraft for RLM79
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Very interesting seeing you're working processes - It's looking superb!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The RLM 78 came out very nice!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Thanks gents!

Got the scheme painted, glossed and gonna have to go and touch up what an overly happy trigger finger did during the gloss process... (after spraying the gloss coat, went back over with a coat of just MLT to get the best gloss I can. Got a little hot on one panel on the underside of the wing so it will need touching up).

But so far this is where it sits:

Messerschmitt 109 Addict
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Everything is looking awesome! (I need to get busy)
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Three totally superb looking 109's!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Exquisite work and photography as well! Here’s a question I need your reasoning on—with the upper level of brown/tan camouflage laying over the blue, do you see that as being at scale more or less a horizontal line without any softness to it? The reason I am curious is the closeups I am studying are somewhat misleading about edge line softness.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

I think that has a lot to do with the grain/resolution in the photo plus quality, yada yada..

There are clear pictures out there that show a rather hard line.
Messerschmitt 109 Addict
pzl66
Master Member

Post by pzl66 »

Hey Bruce, here are some pictures to look at. The first is the one I go off of since it is the most clear picture followed by another picture of the same aircraft and how the image quality make it look different, and then some other examples.

Clear pic showing a hard line.

This one not as good a quality but just enough to show a hard line but it does look like a softer line.

The aircraft I am doing:

This I think was actually the original picture but the previous one had color added (I think)

Is is a hard or soft line? Unless you are trying to be 100% accurate (which you truly will never be) just go with looks right to you. This can be done as a softer line and justified by the colorized picture or done as a hard line and justified by a similar aircraft with a phot with much more detail. Reality is we don’t really know unless you happen to talk to the pilot who flew it and he can say what it was. I think another factor plays in and that these 109s didn’t stay clean and where not polished up. Wear and tear on the paint due to dust and dirt played a factor, though not like a Zeke on a coral island with the low quality paint that fell off just looking at it.
Messerschmitt 109 Addict

Return to “Messerschmitt 2019 Group Build”