Hollywood Bandits and Rebels GB Feeler

Organize a group build and see who is wanting to participate here.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: General Lee/ Dukes of Hazzard GB Feeler

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:Stuart, this explanation treads into US politics so I will try to be a neutral as I can. I personally have no,dog in this fight as both sides of my family, as far as I know, arrived in this country after the Civil War, and on the West Coast, which was minimally involved.
Some folks, usually of a certain political viewpoint, find the Confederate battle flag, sometimes called “the stars and bars”, highly offensive. Other folks see it as a point of Southern pride, or see it as a tribute to those who fought in belief of their views, or simply Southern culture and heritage. It is not the National flag of the Confederate States of America, but instead one of many colors flown by their armies during the American Civil War (1861-1865). Members at each end of the spectrum can be quite vocal in their advocacy for or opposition to the banner. Simply put is part of our national past, but a very uneasy chapter, and with many conflicting viewpoints. Some want it erased completely and never spoken of again, while others want it commemorated for differing reasons.
The main problem is that currently in this country rational discussion of opposing or conflicting viewpoints is not really happening. That does not lead to acceptable equitable solutions.
Thanks for the very sensible answer Carlos. I have to say I don't know a lot about the American Civil War (Suprise) but I've been reading a blog recently written by a Female Military History buff - and she's written quite a few articles on it - I've found it quite interesting and will probably end up learning a bit more.

As far as the GB goes - I've no real interest in the subject as such, but I do fancy building a muscle car and the chance to take part in a SPAM GB is always worth while.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Stikpusher wrote:Stuart, this explanation treads into US politics so I will try to be a neutral as I can. I personally have no,dog in this fight as both sides of my family, as far as I know, arrived in this country after the Civil War, and on the West Coast, which was minimally involved.
Some folks, usually of a certain political viewpoint, find the Confederate battle flag, sometimes called “the stars and bars”, highly offensive. Other folks see it as a point of Southern pride, or see it as a tribute to those who fought in belief of their views, or simply Southern culture and heritage. It is not the National flag of the Confederate States of America, but instead one of many colors flown by their armies during the American Civil War (1861-1865). Members at each end of the spectrum can be quite vocal in their advocacy for or opposition to the banner. Simply put is part of our national past, but a very uneasy chapter, and with many conflicting viewpoints. Some want it erased completely and never spoken of again, while others want it commemorated for differing reasons.
The main problem is that currently in this country rational discussion of opposing or conflicting viewpoints is not really happening. That does not lead to acceptable equitable solutions.
Well.....that's just about as close to what I was gonna say about it so thank you Carlos for shedding some light on that subject. One of the rules that I will put into the group build is to limit the discussion about the flag and dwell on the builds. If we can do that then we're all good to go with a GB like this. I think the car...and the show are deserving of a scale model group build though.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Stikpusher wrote:
BlackSheep214 wrote:Carlos.… close but no cigar. That's an AMC Pacer Another fugly car... :headslap: :giggles:
Yeah I know.., what was AMC thinking? :sad:
Somebody needed a swift kick in the pants after producing that afterbirth car. :lol:
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

mustang1989 wrote:Well.....that's just about as close to what I was gonna say about it so thank you Carlos for shedding some light on that subject. One of the rules that I will put into the group build is to limit the discussion about the flag and dwell on the builds. If we can do that then we're all good to go with a GB like this. I think the car...and the show are deserving of a scale model group build though.
That's cool by me.

What's your thoughts on the kit Joe - for someone that's never built a 1/24 or 1/25 scale car kit before. Good place to start or a bit of a Lemon?

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Militarily, our Civil War, is a fascinating subject. On paper, it should have been over quickly. The Union had industry, manpower, a navy, etc. But very poor command leadership for the most part. At least for the first two years of the war, the Confederates consistently out fought and defeated the Union Army with smaller forces in battle after battle. With the exception being in the “west” in the Mississippi River and Wilderness campaigns. Weapons and tactics of the war were initially mismatched. Napoleanic Infantry maneuver was not equal to newer longer ranged muskets, Artillery, and the newly introduced breech loading cartridge rifles and even Gatling guns. Casualties could be horrendous. The three days of Gettysburg saw total casualties, all Americans now mind you- no foreign fighters involved, on both sides at the same numbers of all three years of US casualties in the Korean War.

But we can continue this subject on another thread if you wish. The car guys have this one.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Oh, and yes I did watch the show as a kid, although I have to be honest and say I don't remember it much. My Dad was/is a Truck Driver and his two favourite films when I was growing up were Smoky and the Bandit and The Blues Brothers - so as you can imagine he always watch the Dukes of Hazzard if it was on.

:hmm: I really must build the Bandit's Trans-am one day.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, I much prefer the Bandit’s Trans Am myself!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:
But we can continue this subject on another thread if you wish. The car guys have this one.
Probably not a bad idea. :grin:

Actually, along with the English civil war and the war of independence it's one of those subjects I'd like to read more about.

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Yeah I'm all over that one too. That's another car that I haven't built yet that would truly look good in stock form. I've always been partial to the black T/A but the blue one's with the contrasting blue flamed chicken on the hood looked pretty good too.

and it is available in kit form:

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

So excited to see the Group Build, Joe!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Group Build Feeler”