Bandai The Going Merry

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
Floki
Elite Member

Re: Bandai The Going Merry

Post by Floki »

The Going Merry herself is now finished! working now on the water, I've read through several of MC's builds and another fantastic ship modeler named Chris Flodberg. Link to his tutorial http://www.shipmodels.info/mws_forum/vi ... 68#p637868
Will also be starting on the figures soon. I'm not sure what scale The Going Merry is in, The figures are bigger than 1/72 but smaller than 1/48 also they are not in the same scale as the ship as they tower above the doorways. In the Anime the doors appear to be 6ft as everyone is able to easily walk through a doorway with out ducking. Comparing the doors to the figures would indicated that everyone stands at around 9-10ft tall. Also the Ram head were Luffy always likes to sit and survey the ocean when they are on the way is way smaller than appears in the show. Where Luffy is dawfed by the Rams head its kinda the opposite with the figures supplied. I will still use them I just wont put them close to any of the doors.

The rudder is also done just not attached in the photos to help it sit better. The piece of soft foam that came with my new PSU for my PC has been a great way of holding the ship while working on her.

Thanks for looking in!
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Pretty Eat!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That is an impressive little ship. I love it!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

LyleW wrote:Pretty Eat!
Pretty NEAT

(Dank spell check/replace)
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thanks guys! She has been a really fun build. Sorry Lyle you can't eat it.
Odin's sons... Attack!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

This is really a fantastic build, I like the cartoonish style a lot !

Very nice, so nice you almost want to hug that ship! :-)

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thank you Kari! This has been by far the most fun build I've ever done. In the show the ship really has her own personality. The rams head showing surprise when the rest of the crew is, or having a scared look while sailing through a storm. It's a great show and if you have the time to watch 700+ episodes I would recommend it highly, I'm only on episode 450ish right now.
Odin's sons... Attack!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Clint,

Your work looks great for two major reasons—you never overdo your color choices and you let each project live at the right level if that makes sense. I have been thinking a lot about how you approach diorama work in light of first seeing your Echo Base/MF build and I know these are your strengths. Granted, you excel in other areas as well, but it is within the modulation of your color palette that things start to come to life... and I have no problem at all waxing poetic over "The Going Merry," because she is a fine ship herself—a real character. I look forward to your base and how you integrate your model! Cheers!

PS: Great photos!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Thanks for your kind words Bruce! The base is going to be pretty boring since this is the first time doing a water base like this I didn't know how to approach it. But my next ship project will be a 1/350 American warship and I plan on taking everything I learned while making this water and make the next even better. I'll try to.get some photos of the water so far posted after work.
Odin's sons... Attack!
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Clint,

I like the base setup so far! Have you considered a round base? I saw a completed version of "The Going Merry" on a round base that was pretty cool. If you want I will go look for a photo of it. I think of the two approaches I have seen (paint/resin) I was going to suggest a hard blue enamel base with a coat of gloss Future on it. Have you ever tried tinting Future? Thomas Mayer tints Future on his tank builds and it really adds something special.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”