Racers, Dragsters, & Funny Cars
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: BlackSheep's Racers, Dragsters, & Funny Cars Group Build

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Progress pics...

Header chrome ends

Rear shocks installed...

Now here's the tricky part of this build, the drag link. The instruction guide points out it goes on top.... (see pink circle)

No matter how much I tried I tried test fitting the top brace it doesn't even fit!! :headbang: So, it made more sense to glue from the bottom. Why? Because that's where it fits without any interference from the main cross link itself!! Even if it's wrong, I don't care. It fits doesn't it? :tongue:

Side view of drag link system...

Interior is finished! I decided to use a single seat instead of using two. The only thing missing is a fire extinguisher. I may have to salvage one from another older kit of mine.

Underside of interior prior to paint. The square piece is a battery. Strange place to put in a '37 Chevy...

I decided to forgo the kit's tires and rims and went for these instead. Gotta love the blue line slicks!!!

I then wanted test the stance with interior and body to frame. Yup... she's starting to look like a gasser....

That's it for now....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

What was that phrase? "If it fits, you must acquit?" Anyway, that would seem to be the way to go. These oldsters are way cool.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Yeah, they are... especially as gassers. Just wait what I had up my sleeves on the color scheme and custom decals I'm gonna use. :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

This is a cool little kit except for that blower intake that you were talking about earlier in the build. These build up very nicely. I built one as a kid and then took the same kit just a couple of years ago and re-vamped it a little. Fun builds.
Yours is coming along great Tom!!! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Very cool! I have Mazmanians gasser on my wish list
Thanks,
John
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Welp…..about all I've got left to do on the General Lee build is to paint the hood. So...….while I'm waiting on the paint to dry to start wet sanding that.....I've started on the Maverick. Chopped up the Mustang chassis and will have to shorten it around 5/16" to get the length right and to move the front tires where I'll want 'em at. I've cut up the back end of the chassis and removed the transmission "hump" to allow the OOB Maverick interior to slide into place alright. Test fit of where I'm at right now. Still gotta move the rear tires inwards a little bit and re-attach the shortened front subrame back to the chassis.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I like it!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A couple updates....

First... the blower painted and glued to engine. Engine now glued to chassis....

Now for the bad news... I sprayed the magenta on this kit just a few minutes ago. :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

Looks like It's going for a oven cleaner bath and a do over. Not sure what happened. Either A - it got cold outside (yeah, I sprayed using rattle can outside in patio area)... or B - I accidently sprayed it on too thick and too close. Ah well, live and learn.

That's okay since I had forgotten to mask off the trunk area. :bored: :bag:

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

First off, that engine looks great in that chassis. Blower intake was a HUGE improvement!

Secondly, I have two questions. What did you use for a primer coat and what did you use for the color coat. This looks like what happened to me when I used a lacquer based paint over an enamel coat base.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

The engine looks really good. That color is SO you!

Return to “BlackSheep's Racers, Dragsters, & Funny Cars Group Build”