Fine Molds 1/72 Y-Wing, “Gold Two,” Battle of Yavin.

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
speedgraflex

Re: Fine Molds 1/72 Y-Wing, “Gold Two,” Battle of Yavin.

Post by speedgraflex »

BTL-S3 “Red Jammer”

May be the first ILM Y-Wing filming miniature completed. This was carried overseas after Joe Johnston painted it. See left photo. Was used to make the full size set version. Never seen onscreen. Was later completed.

The Battle of Yavin

Under the command of Jon "Dutch" Vander, Gold Squadron's eight spaceworthy Y-wing bombers participated in the Battle of Yavin. A flight of three Gold Squadron Y-wings, flown by Vander, Dex Tiree, and Davish Krail, were the first to make an attack run down the Death Star's meridian trench; with their targeting computers recalibrated for fast approach and precision release, this flight would attempt to destroy the station's main reactor by exploiting the weakness presented by the thermal exhaust port. All three were shot down by Darth Vader in his TIE Advanced x1 before flight lead Jon Vander had the opportunity to launch proton torpedoes. While this skirmish was ongoing, all other Imperial fighters were ordered to engage the rebel ships at the magnetic perimeter; Imperial Senior Lieutenant Iden Versio shot down two Y-wings, and was in the process of locking onto a third when the Death Star abruptly exploded. Evaan Verlaine was the only Y-wing pilot of Gold Squadron to survive the assault, and returned to the Rebellion's headquarters on Yavin 4 with the other survivors. Luke Skywalker, R2-D2, Wedge Antilles, Han Solo, Chewbacca, and Verlaine were the only rebel survivors of the starfighter assault.

Members
  • Gold Leader: Captain Jon "Dutch" Vander (KIA)
    Gold Two: Dex Tiree and Sparks (KIA)
    Gold Three: Lieutenant Evaan Verlaine
    Gold Five: Davish "Pops" Krail (KIA)
    Gold Seven: Gazdo Woolcob (KIA)
    Unidentified Y-wing pilot (KIA)
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

TNT has A New Hope on now... :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:TNT has A New Hope on now... :giggles:
Old friends! ANH last night as well. I think ROTJ is on today, too. TNT is going all “Shawshank” with the SWT. Remember when that was on every night???
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I vaguely remember that. I think that TNT must be doing a marathon. The put in Empire Strikes Back immediately after. Don’t know if Return of The Jedi is on next or not...

Interesting synopsis of the battle of Yavin. So if there were 8 Y-Wings is Gold Squadron, and 12(?) X-Wings in Red Squadron, what’s the break down of the remaining 10 ships?
“We count thirty rebel ships, but they’re so small they’re evading our turbo lasers!”
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Ah, you’re missing Green Squadron... “With the Death Star approaching, Y-wings from Gold Squadron and X-wings from Red Squadron and Green Squadron were dispatched to carry out the attack plan. A total of 30 ships were deployed in the assault on the Death Star: 8 Y-wings making up Gold Squadron and 22 X-wings, 12 making up Red Squadron and the rest making up Green Squadron.”

And to add more to this deep dive into SW battle lore: “New Canon simplified matters at Yavin. Knowing that 12 X-wings comprised Red Squadron, and 8 Y-wings comprised Gold Squadron, Green was the designation given to the 10 unaccounted for X-wings seen in the approach shot in A New Hope. However, those ships were never revisited during the battle, which of course focused only on the actions of Red and Gold Squadrons. Now that Blue Squadron was removed from the Yavin equation in the new canon, it is reasonable to assume that most of the nameless pilots shown preparing their X-wings and jumping into their cockpits at Yavin Base just prior to assaulting the Death Star belong to Green Squadron. It would also be a very safe bet that all of them died during the battle, attempting to buy time for the exhaust port strategy to succeed, as it seems confirmed that the same three Alliance starfighters survived the battle (along with the Millennium Falcon) in both timelines - although, as mentioned, Evaan Verlaine replaced Keyan Farlander in the cockpit of the Y-wing.”
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I’m going to have to reread my original novel of film... I know it has some of this in the chapter on the battle of Yavin.

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:I’m going to have to reread my original novel of film... I know it has some of this in the chapter on the battle of Yavin.
https://www.tor.com/2013/01/24/weird-di ... elization/
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Oh yeah! You know I like me some Y-wings! Can't wait to see your build.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Medicman71 wrote:Oh yeah! You know I like me some Y-wings! Can't wait to see your build.
I will be hard pressed to reach what you achieved, but I am gonna try to get there, Mike. I found an example of Joe Johnston’s concept art that at least indicate ideas for individual markings. I wonder why these never made it to the final models?

I wonder where the individual markings on TIE Fighters are? Perhaps the markings on the TIE were virtual ones only reading in the pilot helmet displays.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Just a guess, but probably the markings did not appear due to 1, they would be hard to see in action shots, and 2, they would not look so “alien/otherworldly”

FLSM

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”