The 'here we go again thread'... (1/48 Tornado GR.1)

All things jet, no props and Stik...no armor even though the M1 is turbin powered.
Stikpusher

Re: The 'here we go again thread'... (1/48 Tornado GR.1)

Post by Stikpusher »

I think you need that Gerry Anderson looking beast in the background... a Lightning...

I want to say that the Airfix Sea Harrier kits come with Sea Eagle missiles. Their Buccaneer comes with the type it replaced, the Martel... or maybe it’s the Sea Harrier/Martel and the Buccaneer/Sea Eagle... :whistle:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:hmm: To be honest Carlos, I think that Tornado has lead me down the rabbit hole a bit - I can see a lot more 80's era RAF jets coming my way, in fact I've just bought a Buccaneer - NOT a cheap kit (I'm talking Airfix 1/48). I can easily see me getting a Lightning soon, along with a Phantom, Hawk T.1A and Harrier/Sea Harrier.

It's funny - I grew up loving these aircraft (and mourning their loss) but asides from the Hawk and a (very poor) lightning - I've never built any of them.

:hmm: I think I'm going to have to invest in some buckets of green and grey paint...
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Stuart, you’re a man of great tastes! My own experience was something opposite. I was very bored with US schemes when I was growing up. I loved the aircraft, but did not care for whatever scheme was d’jour until the tactical wraparound schemes with low vis markings came along in the early 80’s. Those looked like combat aircraft. I don’t know why, but I am quite drawn in now by the stuff of that era.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

I think from an aviation/history stand point, the 80's was a pretty interesting period. here were a lot more aircraft in service with a much much larger diversity of types, some new, some old - A lot of things have changed since the end of the Cold War, certainly on the diversity front.

I know this sounds a stupid thing to say, but in some ways I kind of miss the cold war. In those days we knew who the 'enemy' were, and man the soviets were pretty bloody scary, and fascinating. I used to love all of those Cold-War thrillers like Firefox, Red Storm Rising, Team Yankee etc. and Bond films have never been as good.

As a kid/teenager I was really into it - It was a really interesting era. Migs, T-72s, BMPs - and I really miss playing Microprose F-19 and F-117A on my old Commadores!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:giggles:

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:rofl:

Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Yeah, I kinda like this world too! :giggles: :lashed:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Carlos, that Reagan world is a scream! That's my political youth drawn on one page, lol!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Still making slow but enjoyable progress on the Tornado. I've pretty much done all the filling and I've rescrided the areas were the detail was lost - it's the easyist way of replacing raised lines.

Currently I'm working on sorting out the gaps around the intakes and then it's the wing root boots.

I actually went to a model show on Sunday, and amazingly one of the traders had Gulf War Pink!

I'm going to do this as a Desert Storm bird after all - see the stash thread for Reasons :lashed:

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

AWESOME!!!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX

Return to “Jet GB by Portman”