The 'here we go again thread'... (1/48 Tornado GR.1)

All things jet, no props and Stik...no armor even though the M1 is turbin powered.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: The 'here we go again thread'... (1/48 Tornado GR.1)

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:AWESOME!!!

:shoutout:
Thanks Bruce!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Is that an enamel spraycan? If that's the case, don't forget to prime. Stuff could be pretty hot!
That ol' Tonka didn't look too bad I have to say. Nice work on the rescribing, bro!
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Dude the job hunting cuts down on active brain cells a bit but I am stoked by your progress. My one word comment was not my usual rambling self, but one created by filling out forms using cut and paste. Truly I dig your approach and your work keeps me motivated. Cheers.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

mostrich wrote:Is that an enamel spraycan? If that's the case, don't forget to prime. Stuff could be pretty hot!
That ol' Tonka didn't look too bad I have to say. Nice work on the rescribing, bro!
:grin: Nope - it's a small pot of acrylic paint! It does indeed look like a spraycan though from the photo - I hadn't noticed that!

Thanks Torben!
speedgraflex wrote:Dude the job hunting cuts down on active brain cells a bit but I am stoked by your progress. My one word comment was not my usual rambling self, but one created by filling out forms using cut and paste. Truly I dig your approach and your work keeps me motivated. Cheers.
No worries Bruce - thanks for looking in. I hope the job search is going well!

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

You've got to hand it to our RAF boys - It takes serious balls to go to war in a pink aircraft....

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Hi All,

Apologies for being a bit quiet recently – time for an update!

I’m making good progress on the Tornado, despite a couple of setbacks – in an effort to remove some filler that was lodged on the pilots coming I popped one of the seams along the nose. Not a big deal, I just rubbed it back, re-glued and slightly filled it. There’s still a little witness mark but I’ll hide that behind the nose art.
I also had to remove the windscreen. Asides from the previously mentioned filler, there was something bothering me about the windshield that I only noticed when I removed the masking. It occurred to me that the vertical framework in front of the pilot was incorrect – instead of getting wider at the bottom it was getting narrower (something to look out for on the other four boxings I have of this kit :-D ). So, having removed the screen I sanded off the frames and polished it up and repainted them in – alas whilst all this was going on, I noticed some crazing in the screen. There’s not a lot I can do about this so I’ll have to live with it.

Here's where I was last night - the main bit of painting left to do is the exhausts. All painting thus far has been Hataka with Humbrol on the nose. Alas the Xtraacrylic was awful to brush paint with and was canned.

I'm going to be doing this nose art...

Load out will be the two 'big Jug' tanks and the TIALD pod. What I'm trying to find it is if the Targeting pod carrying Tornados started carrying a LGB as well, just like the Pavespike equipped Buccaneers did toward the end of the campaign.

Cheers!

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Some days are diamonds, some are stones! Gutsy move to redo the frames!

:bow: :bow:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Lyle - thankfully they weren't that big and therefore easy to sand off.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking good in warpaint Stuart!

And as far as the designator Tornadoes carrying a LGB with the TILAD, according to this loadout chart, no.

https://www.dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/tornado.html
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

That paint job looks great Stuart! Good work on the sanding and filling as well. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Return to “Jet GB by Portman”