Dodge Challenger SRT8

Here is the place to show off your completed automobile products.
mostrich
Admin

Dodge Challenger SRT8

Post by mostrich »

Finished this one on January 2nd, just to make sure that 2019 stood a non-completion year. :giggles:

Intention
An easy out of the box-build to learn some car modeling skills, especially on high gloss finishes. I tried to put my demands in a pocket and to build along without being a perfectionist. Yeah, go figure...

The kit
(Revell 854220, 1/25 Scale) My first car kit since.. dunno, the war? So can't compare to other car kits, but I'd say it's typically Revell. The body is nicely molded with very little flash and a small, easy to remove parting line. Front and back inserts are crisply molded, too. The interior not so much. Dashboard is ok, but steering wheel and seats look like from a 60's tooling. Some parts like the rims and rear bench showed some protruding scratches that might be a result of damaged molds. Finally I want to mention that stupid white plastic. Before priming you can't see nothing you need to start your preparation work, like sinkholes, scratches, parting lines.

The build
Fit was ok. Very good in some places like undercarriage, engine and the three main body parts. A bit imprecise in other places like the interior. The marriage of body and undercarriage was horrible. Basically I don't have a problem with a snap fit connection. But if you go for it as a manufacturer, your tolerances have to be tight and your instructions precise. Revell skipped both. As a modeler I'm used to touch my models with the strengh of my fingers. I'd never dare to really use my main arm muscles to press something in place. But this model demands exactly that and I can tell you that a lot of sweat and swearwords left my body during the process. Also paint got scraped off in four(!) places and there's no chance to avoid this. A guidance on one side and one or two screws on the other would've been a much smarter and nonviolent solution.

The painting
...ended in a disaster, unfortunately. The main color (Alclad Dark Aluminum) sat on a coat of Alclad Black Primer and was protected by a layer of Alclad Aqua Gloss. Every layer had at least a week of drying time. Until this point the metallic paint looked great with a nice and evenly pigment structure.
For the gloss finish I opted for Mr.Color GX113 thinned with MLT. Two dry layers first followed by three wet layers with 10 to 20 minutes of drying time between. Despite the attentive layering the thinner managed to infiltrate the Aqua Gloss and to reactivate the metallic paint beneath, provoking some kind of rearrangement of the metallic pigments. Spherical in some places, creased in others. Those effects are quite visible in the lateral view below.

Some additional bloopers couldn't be avoided, as usual. One of the front turn signal decals got partially ripped off by tape. While attaching the wing mirrors the super glue frosted the surrounding gloss paint. And those two are just the most obvious.

The pictures

Thank you all for following along!
LyleW
Admin

Re: Dodge Challenger 2009

Post by LyleW »

That is one outstanding piece of work!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Re: Dodge Challenger SRT8

Post by Stikpusher »

You finished one very fine looking machine there! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Cherrylock
Addicted Member

Post by Cherrylock »

looks so goood :bow:
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

The painting... ended in a disaster, unfortunately.
Say what???? No no no no the project ended as a success! Plus, your photos are so good. Your last image looks 1:1. I mean, wow, man! Wow!

:shoutout:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Post by midnightprowler »

Looks great in spite of your problems!
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:
The painting... ended in a disaster, unfortunately.
Say what???? No no no no the project ended as a success! Plus, your photos are so good. Your last image looks 1:1. I mean, wow, man! Wow!

:shoutout:
What bruce said! Times 10. It could be in the brochure for the real item.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I don't know if I just missed it or what but I could've sworn that you said that you had some problems out of the paint. Despite your troubles you turned out a very well built auto model Torben. Hats off to you man.

Ya know.....practice makes perfect. You should try another one. :wink:
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

Thank you very much, Gentleman!
Yes, there will be a next car. Tamiya's AMG GT3 plastered with Anime decals.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

How'd I miss this one??? Looks mean enough to drive one. Bravo!!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Completed Builds: Automobiles”