Mustang1989's General Lee....Well...Kinda

Finished builds
mustang1989

Mustang1989's General Lee....Well...Kinda

Post by mustang1989 »

When I started this build I had no intention of building the General Lee as everyone knows it. I am a Charger fan long before I am a "Dukes" fan but still like the look of the General Lee so I hope I don't hurt any GL purists out there looking on. :whistle: I built one as a kid and have always wanted to have a second shot of it. Only this time I got to add my own touches to it. I started with the stance. I didn't like the high stance of the Lee at all so I set out lowering a bit all the way around. I also went with wider wheels from the AMT Eckler Corvette kit and used a set of tires(which I turned into Bf G's by way of decals ) from the Revell Challenger T/A kit so I could have a more aggressive look. Secondly, if I had one of these it only makes sense to have opening doors....hence the door handles. Third, I love the looks of the 69 Charger R/T grille.....a true testament to the aggressive looking front ends of the time so I opted to show the R/T grille unobstructed by not installing the grille guard up front. Just couldn't do it guys. Lastly, the GL is NOT an R/T which I simply could not have. If I'm going to build a Charger then it's gonna be an R/T and it's gonna have a 440 and not a 383. You're also not going to find a roll bar or CB radio inside. I love the looks of a factory interior in any car and have always liked the Charger interiors in particular so I couldn't "spoil" any of that.

The kit is from Revell. Paint is Testors "Go-Mango" lacquer with Testors "Wet Look" clear. Decals are from the MPC GL kit which was really the only visible part that I took from that kit except for the front and rear license plates which came from Thomas Logan at Speedway Decals. Exhaust tips are aluminum rod cut to length as well as bevel cut and polished, all scrips and details are from the Model Car Garage PE set for the Revell kit.

Anyways here she is. I'd like to thank everyone who followed along, peeked in, and for those who commented or had input along the way.

LyleW
Admin

Re: Mustang1989's General Lee....Well...Kinda

Post by LyleW »

Truly, a masterwork piece! I had been wondering why the stock-ish interior and now I know. You do amazing work and the extras are always spot on.

:shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

That has to be one of the best renditions of the General I've seen to date! Way to go! Simply Outstanding! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Joe, this exceeds expectations in every way. I recently came across a photo of the two model cars used in the series itself which although they are scaled up reminded me of how well you captured the essence of this car - the lowered stance is essentially flawless work and so hard to do with a model. I would package up your build here and take it to the contest tables. This is no bullshit a masterpiece of model car building.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks you guys. I really appreciate the votes of confidence. I really enjoyed building this one.
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I second Bruce's recommendation: This needs to be seen at shows!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks Mark. I may try my luck next month.
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Excellent work and very inspirational! Amazing finish.
Thanks,
John
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Thanks John. I painted and glossed the body before I did anything else on this build. That is NOT the way I'll be doing things in the future. Really hard to work with in terms of being careful with the paint job while test fitting and working with the rest of the car.
Handiabled
Master Member

Post by Handiabled »

Joe it looks good enough to slide across the hood and jump a ravine or two with. You outdid yourself on this one!

Return to “Under Glass”