Lindberg 1/144 Ships of Columbus, the Nina

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
SigEp Ziggy
Advanced Member

Lindberg 1/144 Ships of Columbus, the Nina

Post by SigEp Ziggy »

The guy who has too many irons in the fire, will share one of them here.
I got this about a year ago at Hobby Lobby. It was normally $33, but clearanced at 75% off only $8

The plan is to turn these bathtub toys into scale model ships. I will start on the Nina and use these plans to kit bash her. And hopefully she will look something like this.

More to follow.
Your fellow modeler,
Shane
LyleW
Admin

Re: Lindberg 1/144 Ships of Columbus, the Nina

Post by LyleW »

Oh, wow. That was s neat!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BorgR3mc0
Elite Member

Post by BorgR3mc0 »

Now there is something I haven’t seen before. A very interesting subject!
ImageImageImageImageImage
SigEp Ziggy
Advanced Member

Post by SigEp Ziggy »

I'll start with the first of many corrections, the decks. There should be only two not three.

I removed the second to third step and glued the pieces together and made an extension for the main deck out of styrene.

More to follow.
Your fellow modeler,
Shane
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

This one outta be fun to watch. :popcorn:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

LyleW wrote:Oh, wow. That was s neat!
I want to apologize. I do speak and write English, well...American, I have a Master of Arts degree in Education and some 30 hours pf college work above that in various areas of interest. These gibberish remarks are solely the result of my iPad, fat fingers and a renegade AutoCorrect and word substitution algorithm.

Sheesh.

Siggy, this will be quite the build to watch. If I ever tried anything like this, I would likely hang myself trying to do the rigging.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking at that ship design, you really have to admire the courage of Columbus, his captains and crews braving the unknown west across the Atlantic in such vessels.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

A few years ago, probably more, a couple of the replica Columbus ships were in Louisville. We went with some of the grandkids and went on board. They are as small as they look.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes they are. In 2017 when we visited Cadiz Spain we took a tour to a local winery. On the bus enroute to the winery we passed thru a small town that had a replica of the Nina, or La Niña as she is known there, in the center of the traffic circle. Not very big at all. Most yachts that I’ve seen are larger.
Bold and brave sailor men.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
SigEp Ziggy
Advanced Member

Post by SigEp Ziggy »

I agree, it is difficult to imagine 30 days in tight quarters dealing with food, eating, cooking and waste. I bet these men smelled ripe.

I did purchase the plans for all three ships from Amati and some Evergreen styrene.

I reduced the plans until they were the right size and made a template for the main deck.

I then cut holes in the template to mark where changes needed to be made.

Next, was start decorating!

Keep in mind that this deck is only 3 inches long, more to follow.
Your fellow modeler,
Shane

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”