AMT Kit S921-200 built by speedgraflex

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
speedgraflex

AMT Kit S921-200 built by speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

In science fiction modeling, one kit which probably almost every modeler with at least a passing interest in science fiction has built at one time or another is the classic 18″ U.S.S. Enterprise kit from AMT. The model stayed in AMT’s catalog for 30 years, something of a record for any model kit. Despite being lovingly restored and released, the reissue is not exactly the same kit as it first appeared in the Sixties. Most would consider the new tool an improvement. Most. I have a penchant for building these chestnuts the way they originally came. So it’s a time travel episode, essentially, a subject that is classic Star Trek, really.

Photos as found / 2014

The very first Enterprise kit was issued in a tall box, featuring artwork of the ship near a red planet.

VERSION 1 KIT / 1966

This is not my first rodeo with the 18” AMT E, but this is my first V1 Kit. Another Must Build Classic Kit.

A barn find. Literally. The dirtiest plastic I ever touched. The pieces looked like each was dipped in a combination of cooking oil and axle grease. Conventional solutions using soap did not work. I ended up using “Purple Power” Degreaser and clean water to flush the dirt and grease off which I followed by a soap and water soak. I finished a few days later with a light 1,200-2,000 grit sanding session.

I thought I lost this kit. Literally. About a week ago I found it. I stuffed it in a UPS bag after separating the parts into sub assemblies and left it on a shelf. When I found it I felt great. It’s been five-six years since I started putzing with this, so I hope I have learned a few things from all you fine gentlemen.

SPECS

25 parts in white, green tint clear plastic, smoky grey plastic base, 2 “grain of wheat” light bulbs attached to a wiring harness plus metal contacts for two AA batteries and one decal sheet (destroyed).

MISSING

1 Bussard Intake Collector (Replace both)
3 Intake Sink Field Generators (Scratch)
1 Rear Nacelle Cap (Replace both)

NOTES

Features single piece bussard collectors with intake sink field generators molded together. My note to cut this apart. The rear nacelle caps have smooth ends. The deflector dish is the largest amongst all versions. Warp pylon mounts use a tab-lock system. My note is to use my own modification of this (Done 2/15/20) to make the support work. Decals must be sourced (Federation Models?) as well as replacement parts (Accurate Parts?).
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Re: AMT Kit S921-200

Post by LyleW »

Quite a story on this one! I have no idea of what you speak, but I like it.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Apologies! I highlighted what is missing in light blue. Some parts have different names here, but the visual was what I was after.

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very interesting. This will be cool to see built.

Funny little story. Every year at our IPMS model show, there's always at least two models of the Enterprise and they're always lit up with all the bells and whistles. Last year when I entered my Y-wing, there weren't any........yet. I told my wife that if someone showed up with one, my Y-wing would never place. Well, later on there were not two but several Star Trek ships (two were Enterprise) and they were incredible. Lucky for me they split the category into large and small scale Sci-Fi and that's why I placed.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Great stories Gents!

Great subject Bruce - Such a classic design!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Mike - I know what you mean about the Enterprise models. The 1/350 Polar Lights kits are quite amazing, and offer an incredible platform for customization. Bill Krause is my hero of customized starships as well as a hero for incredibly detailed historical models.

Photo by Bill Krause

Photo by Bill Krause

Stuart - I thank you for inspiring me to keep building and for following along. The inspiration applies to Mike as well!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Not to hijack your thread but these are the ones I'm talking about.

Mike

speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Amazing work! And your photos and comments are always welcome. I like studying the bases. I am not entirely sure if I will keep the stock base. I think I am going to wire the model to the base like these fellas are doing so this is very useful to think about! Thanks, Mike!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

No problem! I enjoy helping when I can. Guess it's in my DNA considering that I'm in EMS.
Mike

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks for the explanation!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”