The Mighty Eighth Official TEaser

Talk about what ever, NO Politics, NO Religion, NO B.S.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

The Mighty Eighth Official TEaser

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I can't wait til this comes out! It looks like a really good movie!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhmFFtjB2qY
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Re: The Mighty Eighth Official TEaser

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow. It does look good.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

Looks interesting.
My concern is "Based on true events" has lost its meaning. Writers and directors seem to use it as a gimmick to make a "Historical" movie and then use artistic license to butcher the real story. In 1942 the Americans never raided Kassel. In fact out of 20 raids. 1 was by the Americans. In B-24's. In 1944.

This string of "War Movies" that are coming out (Starting with red tails) would benefit a huge amount by a tiny tiny amount of fact checking. If they wanted a "High Profile" target to use for the movie they could have used Dresden. Almost identical results, but it was done by the 8th.

Beyond that, the CG is a little lacking, but the internals on the B-17 looks good. Nice amount of drama. Might be a good one to get on DVD if it ever reaches kiwi shores.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
scorpiomikey
Addicted Member

Post by scorpiomikey »

I fully get it, it just frustrates me when they say "Inspired by true events" and then completely ignore history. If it does have a good character based story, great, but from the trailer we have no idea who this kid is, will the film follow him right through? Or is it following the plane? Or the crew? (Half of which appears to be dead during the trailer) At the very least id like to see them change the target from Kassel to Dresden. (Which again didnt get hit until late in the war.)
I know its just a made up story, and i appreciate that they have probably put a hell of alot of effort into this film, and i commend them for that. But the glaring historical inaccuracies bug the doody out of me.
You can learn all the math in the 'Verse, but you take a boat in the air that you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Ok guys, cease fire. This is not a movie trailer per se, but a demo reel produced to pitch the project to the movie studios for backing. The actual movie has yet to be made, if it ever is. This is Hollywood internal stuff that somehow went public online.
Maybe it will get made... Maybe it will be good... Maybe it will suck... But only time will tell... I have yet to come across anybody who dislikes "Kell's Heroes", yet that movie is a long way from reality. Many other classic war movies could also fit that description. One of my favorite war films "Battle of Britain" could easily be said to be of the 'inspired by actual events' variety, as none of the pilots shown in it are the real guys. They are all based upon actual historical pilots, but with new names in order to be assigned to the fictitious squadrons followed in that film.
BTW, in the course of researching this thing, it appears that HBO, Tom Hanks, and Spielberg are teaming up again for another series. This one will be about the US air war in Europe and the 8th as well. Lets hope that the third time is a charm for them in that effort.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
nathant
Advanced Member

Post by nathant »

Wow! that was terrible! Just my opinion but man, Hollywood isn't even trying anymore.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Again - it's a teaser - not an offical movie release preview. I do agree on all points Hollywood don't do enough research on historical accounts. Red Tails is one good example although it is an entertaining movie. It is rumoured to be released and as far to my knowledge Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg are involved in the making of this movie. I believe it's supposed to be only on HBO.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

It is just a movie. I don't put a lot of stock into the "Inspired By True Events" line because it's a movie and not a documentary.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Again - it's a teaser - not an offical movie release preview. I do agree on all points Hollywood don't do enough research on historical accounts. Red Tails is one good example although it is an entertaining movie. It is rumoured to be released and as far to my knowledge Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg are involved in the making of this movie. I believe it's supposed to be only on HBO.
No. The HBO/Hanks/Spelberg project is completely different. That is gonna be another HBO miniseries, not a theatrical film in cinemas or straight to DVD/Blu Ray. This one is gonna be done by the guy who did "300". That probably accounts for the more "comic book" (AKA Graphic Novel for those who are too cool to read comic books) style of this as well.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Free Discussion”