1/48 Tamiya Skyray

Any subject, any scale, as long as it's a Tamiya kit.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Skyray

Post by Stuart »

Did it come with a pilot figure? That seems to the copout for a lot of kit manufacturers
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I don’t think that I’ve seen a new tool, non re issue, kit come with a seated pilot figure since the mid to late 90’s. At least not in 1/48.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

This one actually did have a pilot figure. I'm not a fan of pilots that come with the kits. They usually look like lumps of plastic.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I always like the Monogram jet pilots. They come in proper period appropriate flight suits, gear, and helmets. And with a bit of animation in the posing, looking off to one side or another.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:I don’t think that I’ve seen a new tool, non re issue, kit come with a seated pilot figure since the mid to late 90’s. At least not in 1/48.
I think the F-14 and P-38 kits I have have got them in...

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Now that you mention it, yes. I think that Tamiya is the only one currently offering seated pilot figures with their new kits. They have a couple shown with their new F-4B Phantom. Yay Tamiya!

FLSM
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Airfix do as well., I think, I'm not sure about their new 1/48 kits actually, especially the jets. but the ones in the Tamiya box look aces - I'll certainly adding mine!

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

My only gripe of the Tamiya pilots, at least most of them, is that they are molded with their hands in their laps, and looking straight ahead. The Monogram pilots are usually molded with a positionable arm for the stick, one molded fixed in something appropriate for working the throttle, and often with the head looking to one side.

FLSM
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Reedoak makes some awesome resin pilots that actually fit in the kit.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Stikpusher wrote:My only gripe of the Tamiya pilots, at least most of them, is that they are molded with their hands in their laps, and looking straight ahead. The Monogram pilots are usually molded with a positionable arm for the stick, one molded fixed in something appropriate for working the throttle, and often with the head looking to one side.
Yeah, that's pretty crap when they're like that. I'm going to fit the ones that came with my F.3, they're not great but at least they have posable arms.
Medicman71 wrote:Reedoak makes some awesome resin pilots that actually fit in the kit.
:hmm: That might be worth a look.

Return to “The 'shake it & bake it' - Tamiya 2021”