1/48 Tamiya Zero A6M5c

Any subject, any scale, as long as it's a Tamiya kit.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Re: 1/48 Tamiya Zero A6M5c

Post by jeaton01 »

Ahhh, grasshoppah, if you only knew. I just got through sawing open a model (Matchbox Wellesley) because I forgot to put the instrument panel in. Most of the time I just don't tell, don't want to wreck my rep, such as it is....
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

I did something similar on my F-84 after I forgot to add nose weight. Cut open the area under the windscreen and filled with splitshot and a bit of white glue. Fortunately the kit engineering made this easy.

White glue didn't hold so well so she rattles when you pick her up :giggles:
Thanks,
John
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Yep - been there too. I once did a really nice job of the bottom section and stick of an Monogram Typhoon - only to forget to add it before I glued the wing into place :headslap: Sufficed to say I left it out...

Looking forward to seeing some progress on this one Lyle. As for the masks, I'm sure that even if they're not 100% they will mostly fit - giving you less work to do.

@Bruce - Stunning photo! I hope you enjoyed your face time!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks! Good to know I’m not alone...just more prolific.

I knew the dad joke threat would work. Here is one for gree...what time is best to schedule an appointment if your tooth hurts?

Tooth-hurty

Jeaton01, thanks for the info. And, your reputation is quite intact!

keavdog, I’ll check it out a bit later this morning. Well, I had the answer in my stash. Just didn’t know it. And the replacement kit came yesterday. I’m good, well I have what I need. That’s a funny story.

Bruce, I love you brother, but post any more great beach pics and I’ll hunt you down! Man I wish I were there...I have come to prefer cut masks for ease, I’m lazy, and for smaller subjects, they fit.

Stuart, thank you. You cover any issues masterfully.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote: I knew the dad joke threat would work. Here is one for gree...what time is best to schedule an appointment if your tooth hurts?

Tooth-hurty

:ballbat:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

So, you liked that one?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

LyleW wrote:
LyleW wrote:Will the Eduard masks for the Tamiya A6M3 zero fit the A6M5c canopy? Can't find any additional sets on ebay, scalehobbist, tower, sprue brothers and hobbylinc. Eduard's store has them, at a reasonable price, but one number i saw for shipping was over $25.00. . . nuts for what is basically a letter sized piece. I've asked Eduard for a cost.

I can find the A6M3 masks on ebay and others.
Any thoughts on the above question? Anyone? Anyone....or I start posting more dad jokes.

To give a picture of my day. Well, the last few.
Stripped and repainted the Mustang spinner yet again This iteration is ugly but I’m not doing it again pics later.

Somehow, lost the ip on this one. Poof...it was gone. Contacted Tamiya USA and he is, or will, check in a few day upon return to the office. Ordered a replacement kit. Looked at my shelves two days ago and there sat another of the same exact kit. Golden and back on track.

And finally went to finish the 51 by adding the prop. Guess what idiot put all the markings on the backside and it did not fit into the spinner properly. Stripped the prop, reprinted decals and will try again.

The hammer was cocked, but stayed in the stowed position. Hope you guys enjoy my foibles and realize how good you have it.
Whaddaya mean "how good you have it."? This sounds just like what I have happen on a regular basis! just yesterday, while looking for my decals for IDF vehicles in 1/72 scale; I spilled three bags worth three times and had to gather them up and re-pack them. After that, some of them shattered and the rest were difficult because I forgot that I had to trim close to the design since they were all printed on a solid film. I also found that when applying all the digital camouflage decals to the BTR-3K, I lost the light and rear-view mirror on one side. Later, when I went to apply the decals to the MSTA Self Propelled Gun, I couldn't find the BOX that held the decals! Searched for three hours before I found it had fallen behind a bunch of boxes. When I went to put the decals on the little M-5 Stuart; they were gone. Still haven't found them and I still have another Stuart to build. I went through my spare decals and found a few that would fit and 'winged it'. I can't tell you how many times I 'clunked' the An-124 while maneuvering it to try and sand the last filled areas smooth. Fortunately through God's Grace, no damage was done and that bird has been re-primed and clearcoated. Baring any unforeseen issues, I could possibly move forward on it. However, I also lost the part of the instruction sheet telling me how this is to be painted. Finally, while sanding the engines on the C-54 to allow the cowls to fit; I lost a few tiny hoses from them. As they won't be seen when I assemble everything, I'm not going to sweat them. And that was just yesterday..... :headslap:

So Lyle, I'd say your claim to kingship here is seriously challenged my friend! :lashed:

Bruce, That is an awesome shot of the beach indeed. Glad you got some special facetime with Carlotta. That is more important than anything.

Carlos, go get him for that!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

These had to be the most ill-fitting Eduard masks (even for me).. granted they are for kit #61103 not the #61027 I have, but sheesh, you would have thought Tamiya canopies were Tamiya canopies.

Looks like a Dr. Seuss plane..

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Yes, they are Tamiya canopies, but their Zeroes have different moldings. Not all are the same. The early 70’s A6M2 and A6M2-N are variants of the same molds. The same goes for the late 70’s A6M5c and A6M3 Model 32. Their newest kits may share the same new tool canopy sprue.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Good info Carlos.

Hey Lyle, if it's a Dr. Seuss plane, maybe you can add the Cat in the Hat to the cockpit! LOL!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “The 'shake it & bake it' - Tamiya 2021”