Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang "Berlin Express"

Yellow Nose, Green Nose, Blue Nose, Red tails, Yellow Tails Checkered Nose, etc...

Basically, any Allied aircraft during WW2 that sported any type of Colored or Checkered Noses and/or Tails.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: Revell 1/32 P-51B Mustang "Berlin Express"

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Got the front windscreen on late last night. Had to do a bit of sanding to get it fit as close as possible without losing too much plastic. Then I proceeded with applying some spots with Mr. Surfacer to fill in minor gaps. Soon, it will be primer time!!
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

All primed and ready for some serious paint slinging....

According to an article I found some time ago where another modeler who built the Berlin Express, he recommends the dark green is to be painted first, then the invasion stripes before the aluminum paint is applied. Sounds sensible enough for me since metallic paints tend to peel off when removing any tape if done first.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

That looks good all primed up! You overcame the canopy speed bump just fine! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

It was a challenge no doubt. I was oh so close to binning it and that's a rarity for me.

I've also started priming another kit in progress as well - one of my birthday stash from my son - the USS Missouri "Mighty Mo" - my first ship kit in many decades. I'm so far into the build; I'm not going to bother with posting progress pics. Stay tuned....

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Great work getting the canopy on!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

After a couple days rest, I'm hoping to hit the bench a bit later tonight. The green was already airbrushed on 2 weeks ago. Tonight, I'll start doing the invasion stripes.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

A couple days of masking for the white areas before masking for black. Once the white is done, I’ll spray a coat or two of gloss clearcoat since I’m using Vallejo Model Color Off white. I don’t want to chance Vallejo peeling off once I mask for black stripes. Pic forthcoming...

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I think you got this!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Had some white paint bleeds but I'm not worried about it. Nothing a little touch up will take care of it. Next, a couple coats of gloss clear to seal in the white Vallejo paint.

Black stripe painted using Floquil Weathered Black on tail rudders.

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Why the black stripes on the undersides of the tail planes? The original P-51 ID stripes were white stripes chord wise on the wings and horizontal stabilizers, along with a white nose. In late spring of 1944 squadron rudder colors and group nose colors replaced the white noses.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Yellow Nose, Green Nose, Blue Nose, Red Tail”