1/24 Studio Scale TIE Fighter, Black 2, Vader's Wingman

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
speedgraflex

Re: 1/24 Studio Scale TIE Fighter, Black 2, Vader's Wingman

Post by speedgraflex »

Torben,

Three times I have tried to watch this video. The fault is mine for not finishing. Although, the usage of Toto & Brian Eno’s “Prophesy Theme” from David Lynch’s “Dune” as his introductory theme, rendered as elevator music no less, annoys me, the video is extremely interesting simply to hear unscripted commentary by Doogmeister.

I also would prefer editing with closeups, so I am not staring at his hands the entire time, but this is I believe a universal issue with videos. Forgive the critic! I am thinking I will do a scripted and shot listed video series to augment this project, though, so I am preparing a “video friendly” work bench. Has anyone watched “Harry Houdini?” I was going to watch one of his videos, and of course I want to watch Clint’s work as well.

At the moment I think it is very important to have a scripted outline, and a clear progression of videos. I’m also thinking of the total time for each segment being quite brisk at 3-5 minutes each. Maybe use the traditional five act structure.

I want to take a moment to memorialize three members of ILM.

Michael Cochrane, Ira Keeler, Michael Fulmer. Rest In Peace.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I've watched a lot of HH's videos he's crazy lol Doog is a ass and wouldn't support him In anyway after he treated me years ago

Great ideas you have Bruce, it's always hard to have about 13 hours of video to cut down to 15 or less
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Clint,

Yes, I like HH. I had forgotten about Doog until Torben posted the video; and I am truly sorry as a fellow model builder that he was offensive; enough about him as an individual. I do not know him at all. I will limit my remarks to his video. I was sincerely trying to watch his video. I literally sat myself down in a chair with the singular instruction to watch the video. When I reached the halfway mark I lost interest. The introductory music annoyed me, so like nails on a chalkboard to have a great score turned into elevator music; then used improperly to introduce a SW video - a double insult.

“Give the Harkonnen a blade.”

With Maud’Dib’s skillful knife fighting in mind I skipped and sliced through what is the bulk of the video, cutting away at the tedium; seeing one crooked shot, soft focus overall, little variation and very rough editing.
In film, an insert is a shot of part of a scene as filmed from a different angle and/or focal length from the master shot. Inserts cover action already covered in the master shot, but emphasize a different aspect of that action due to the different framing. An insert differs from a cutaway as cutaways cover action not covered in the master shot.

- Wikipedia
There exists a basic concept in editing called the insert shot, which when used basically smoothes over the timing of the narrative. It has been years since I took an editing class but it’s important to create coverage - and simple to do as well - by shooting closeups or cutting to project files. I think he does this once in the twelve or so minutes I watched, which would be the “kiss of death” in editorial work. You have a feel for it or you learn to feel it or you never do.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Doog... a good modeler but he's been banned in numerous forums for his comments/actions towards others. He has pissed off too many folks because of that.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Yes, that seems to be the consensus, Tom. Sadly. He does not reflect those who love what the hobby is, and impart its love upon others. Ego is and ever will be the issue I fear.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

I can't comment on the quality of his videos since I've never watched any but I'm sure they are better filmed compared to anything I can do.

Bruce with you knowledge in photography I'm sure you will have no problem making a beautiful informative build video
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

speedgraflex wrote:Torben,

Three times I have tried to watch this video. The fault is mine for not finishing. Although, the usage of Toto & Brian Eno’s “Prophesy Theme” from David Lynch’s “Dune” as his introductory theme, rendered as elevator music no less, annoys me, the video is extremely interesting simply to hear unscripted commentary by Doogmeister.
(...)
I also would prefer editing with closeups, so I am not staring at his hands the entire time, but this is I believe a universal issue with videos. Forgive the critic! I am thinking I will do a scripted and shot listed video series to augment this project, though, so I am preparing a “video friendly” work bench. (...)
LOL, I really can follow your artistic point of view regarding his video editing. And now that you've mentioned it: the music IS an isult.
Reading Frank Herbert (the first book of the series) again at the moment. First time was 25 years ago and I'm absolutely enjoying it. The story has so many layers, no wonder people are still discussing it.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Torben,

When most kids played Cowboys and Indians, I played Harkonnens and Atreides. Hopefully I will pull off the challenge of not making a series of videos that suck; primarily addressing clean up and assembly of 3D printed parts. I have a Vimeo channel which has been idling for years. I may fire it up again rather than use YouTube as a video publishing platform. Cheers, mate.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

speedgraflex wrote:When most kids played Cowboys and Indians, I played Harkonnens and Atreides.
:giggles:

I knew of the book in high school but never read it. A few years later when the David Lynch film came out while I was in the Army, I saw the film and loved it. Bought the book, but somebody stole it from my barracks room after I only had read a few chapters. I finally got another copy many years later and read it all the way thru, and loved it even more. I see the shortcoming in the Lynch film, but still love it. That is just too much story to pack into a 2-3 hour film. I do look forward to the new remake and hope that they are closer to the mark.
But it won’t have the Toto soundtrack which I think was expertly done...

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

I read it and most of the rest of Frank Herbert's works way back when. Still have concerns about those Sandworms sneaking up on me.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”