1/24 Studio Scale TIE Fighter, Black 2, Vader's Wingman

Here is the place to show off the progress of your sci-fi builds.
keavdog
Elite Member

Re: 1/24 Studio Scale TIE Fighter, Black 2, Vader's Wingman

Post by keavdog »

Never read the book, but love the movie. Kinda steampunkish.
Thanks,
John
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Carlos,

Great memories. I think of your time in the service as an incubation period for your lifelong interests in history, model building and science fiction. Having recently finished The Forever War, based on your recommendation, I feel we are really on the same page or following the same paths.

John,

I may not know you quite as well as Carlos, but I feel kinship with your aircraft building and choice of subjects. I had no idea you read Frank Herbert. I read Dune every two-three years as part of my childhood visitation. I have read every book several times. There is an another author I find as marvelous at world building as Herbert and that is Gene Wolfe.

Some characters from Urth of the New Sun

Mr Wolfe I believe was a veteran of the Korean War who became an engineer on the GI Bill (I hope I have my facts straight). He wrote four books in the Urth of the New Sun series which are densely plotted and richly detailed. For all intents and purposes he created a vision of our far future lives that has only been equaled in science fiction literature by Herbert.

John,

I love the steampunk concept. Wild, Wild West with Will Smith was a wonderful scenic fantasy, which remains a truly guilty pleasure of mine. I keep hoping Ridley Scott will make a movie out of The Difference Engine which is a steam and rock-oil powered fantasy featuring dinosaurs (the bone hunters), Sam Houston, and the US of A divided into North and South while England rules over all.

World map of The Difference Engine

The other steampunk concept film for me is Guy Ritchie’s first Sherlock Holmes movie. The sets and detection devices as well as the bad guy’s weapon were quite of a piece with brass and steam.

Cheers, all.

PS.

Art by Adam Hughes

I forgot The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Series by Alan Moore. A fabulous graphic novel; a so so film.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

So are you going to start doing some videos Bruce? That'll be very interesting to see - I shall look forward to it.

Confession time - never read any of the Dune books OR seen the film - I might have to correct that at some point, it's been a while since I read any Classic Sci-fi.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Modelcrazy
Addicted Member

Post by Modelcrazy »

I'd like to see any video you come up with Bruce. I've wanted to do a video for a very long time but my video editing is just crap and anything I produce would look like something from a 10 year old's bedroom. I have a lot of info to pass along but don't want to chase people away because of my less than B rated quality.
Building a kit from your stash is like cutting the head off a Hydra, two more take it’s place.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_ ... obby+bench
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Modelcrazy wrote:I'd like to see any video you come up with Bruce. I've wanted to do a video for a very long time but my video editing is just crap and anything I produce would look like something from a 10 year old's bedroom. I have a lot of info to pass along but don't want to chase people away because of my less than B rated quality.
I feel ya! My wife keeps saying I should do some videos but I haven't had the time and I have no idea how to go about it.

Bruce I do hope you make some videos. I'd love to see them.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Bruce, I've read a lot of science fiction. Philip K. Dick's The Man in the High Castle is one of my favorite alternate histories. None of the movies in SF seem to rise up to the books, but original Sci Fi movies can be pretty good. My wife and I just finished watching Eureka on Amazon and I thought it was pretty good, and I liked Tales of the Loop a lot. I try to avoid the space cowboy stuff unless I'm in the mood.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Another good Sci-Fi series is "The Expanse" on Amazon Prime. The production is up there with a big budget movie.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Fantastic program - I rewatched it all last year, although I wasn't as keen on the last series....
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stuart & Mike,

I read the books and novellas for The Expanse, and I have seen the series many times. The Expanse is thoughtful and carefully crafted show. I think once the promise of “Humanity’s Gold Rush” was fulfilled in season four the series (and the books) lost momentum, fell back upon a “Big Bad” from amongst the Belters, killed off two of my favorite series regulars (different plotting from the books). Basically after the ring gates opened, I was hoping for Range Wars similar to the “expansion” of the US West. Instead the series will wrap up with where the Belt will be—who will lead the Belt forward, and will tensions between Earth, Mars and the Belt finally resolve. I still care very much for the crew of the Rocinante and I feel they should take that final ride into the sunset now that they have saved so many people.

Steve & John,

I would love to see what more experienced voices such as yours would impact upon future generations through articles and videos. My hope continues to be that all members of the forum continue to write up their projects here online. I know it is here that I have learned more then I ever believed possible. That leads to what to do, where to go. There is one video by Adam Savage which I feel every model builder needs to see; it is his “Ode to Scratchbuilding,” and it is very, very well done. There may be jump cuts and missing steps but as a foundational course in one of our most important elements (fun with plastic card) it is aces.

Hopefully I’ll find it and shove it here!

Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Adam Savage is a treasure to are hobby and many many others.

I've been enjoying making videos and I think each one is better than the last. I just need to nail down better editing and more voice over. I had one guy tell me on Reddit the key is to be funny and informative and explain everything like you are telling it to someone who knows nothing about the hobby, even though the main audience should know what's going on.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall

Return to “Work In Progress: Sci-Fi”