Kari's bench 2021 -->

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Kari's bench 2021 -->

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Lyle!

Masking was finally ended, canopies glued into place and ready for a layer of black primer. On the contrary what is seen in the picture, eventually I used Mr.Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black instead.

To:

I'm planninig to do the Trainer version, with yellow wings, must just decide in what order the painting will be carried out.

Also, different sources give some different information regarding the underside; either Gull grey or FS17875 white... :hmm:

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice Kari! According to my books, the yellow wing trainers were gull grey underneath.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Medicman71 wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:26 am Very nice Kari! According to my books, the yellow wing trainers were gull grey underneath.
Aah, wonderful!

also thought a little bit in that direction, but was not really sure.

Many thanks Mike! :bow:

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

KSaarni wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2023 10:20 am Thanks Lyle!

Masking was finally ended, canopies glued into place and ready for a layer of black primer. On the contrary what is seen in the picture, eventually I used Mr.Finishing Surfacer 1500 Black instead.

To:

I'm planninig to do the Trainer version, with yellow wings, must just decide in what order the painting will be carried out.

Also, different sources give some different information regarding the underside; either Gull grey or FS17875 white... :hmm:

- Kari
Looking good Kari! The underside color will depend upon the rest of the paint scheme aside fro the trainer yellow wings. If the aircraft has a two tone upper surface, the undersides should be Insignia White, FS 17875. If it is a singe color upper surface, it should be Light Gull Gray FS 36440.

Blue gray over Light Gull Gray trainer w/yellow upper wings

Here are a couple of the two tone blue over white... I couldn't find any color photos of them in that scheme with the yellow upper wings as trainers

"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thank you Carlos!

very good and informative stuff regarding the different colorin rules / combination applying, really excellent information for further projects as well! :writing:

Many thanks also for the amazing pictures of the mighty Kingfisher! It is a beautiful bird!

The Kingfisher in scale 1:72 is rather small, so painting the lower surface did not take too much time.
Some minor challenges reaching with the airbrush under the wing floats.. And of course, a minor accident, as one of the supporting struts of the left wing float came off after colliding with my Badger.. :headslap:

Next layer, some masking and then the upper surface of the wings with yellow.

- Kari
---
On the bench:

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking great. I like the idea of yellow wings on a Kingfisher. I really need to get another Kingfisher kit.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Tom !

So masking is done for the yellow part. Was perhaps not the smartest move to prime in black something that will be yellow... Oh well, let's see how many layers is needed to get a nice cover

Masking was sort of a hassle and I fear that those wing floats will come off when removing the tape. I shouldn't have glued them yet.

But lessons learned for the next 1/72 project, the Seagull.

- Kari
---
On the bench:

Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That Kingfisher is coming along very nicely indeed Kari! It's such a nice looking little aeroplane.

The Seagull looks fun!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Thanks Stuart!

The Seagull will be special, because what I am aware of and remember, this particular Hasegawa version (this release should even be the right one) was my first ever plastic scale model I got & built 49 years ago. I still have it somewhere saved in a box, or what is left of it so to speak... :giggles:

- Kari
---
On the bench:

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

White or Grey primer would be more ideal for yellow. What if you mask the wings and shoot white or Grey primer before hitting the yellow. Just a thought....
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn

Return to “Member's Gallery”