1/32 Meng Me163 Komet

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
Stuart
Elite Member

Re: 1/32 Meng Me163 Komet

Post by Stuart »

Stunning cockpit work as ever John - you've really made that come to life.

interesting conversation on vison - having been short-sighted all my life, I'm now getting to the stage were I need reading glasses for close up work as well. I've just had to order my first pair as I can barely see what I'm doing these days - especially in 1/72 - even with a magnifying glass. I've not thought about an optivisor or similar though - I might have to look into that. :hmm:
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Wow! That cockpit looks awesome! :shoutout:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Hello again! I hope everyone is doing well! It's been a while since I've posted an update. Which reflects my absence from the modeling room. Due to various issues, my mind has not been on modeling and I've been doing other things. Finally got the urge to fiddle with the plastic and hopefully this signals a more consistent return to the modeling bench.

Looking at other Meng 163 builds, I am probably going to deviate from the kit's instructions to hopefully circumvent some of the fit issues that arise from a standard construction sequence. Some builders have reported good luck attaching the wings to the fuselage first and that's the route I'm going to take. I may even attach the rear fuselage halves to their respective sides so that I'll have a complete left and right halves.

All of my panels will be shut but I've decided to assemble the 30mm wing cannons since the under wing ammo chutes look up directly into the gun bay.

The cannons are obviously designed to be seen from above. Note that the ammo chute does not line up with the opening on the wing bottom.

The view from underneath into the ammo openings simply shows the featureless bottom of the guns. To keep things simple and preserve momentum, I am just going to paint all of this black.

The instructions would have you foolishly glue in a delicate antenna into the bottom of the wings during wing assembly. I had other plans so I didn't mind it when the antenna broke when removing it from the sprue.

Instead, I just glued in the antenna base, with the whip antenna replaced with a hole. A wire or piece of stretched sprue will be used for the antenna at the end of the build.

I found a spare oxygen bottle in one of my Me262 kits and decided to add it to the shelf just forward of the fuel tank.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Great to see you John back at the bench!

And great to see the continuation of the Komet !

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

KSaarni wrote:Great to see you John back at the bench!

And great to see the continuation of the Komet !

- Kari
Same! Hope we don't have to wait as long to see another great update.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Welcome back! I never understood why kit manufacturers suggest adding delicate parts such as an antennas and such so early in the assembly steps.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Hi, John! Looking good!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

That is some real nice work John! :shoutout:
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I was wondering where you got off to ol' buddy. I've gotta thank you for getting me back into aircraft modeling. For a long time I resisted due to my painting & weathering just skills needed an overhaul. In watching your builds I gained the necessary information as well as a renewed courage to take another one on. I continue to watch your builds not only for the quality of builds that you turn out but also to continue to learn new techniques in which to get better myself. This is looking great so far pal.
Bish
Master Member

Post by Bish »

Nice progress. I don't get why they have you put those delicate parts on so early.
'I am a Norfolk man and i glory in being so'
On the bench: Revell 1/72nd Type VIIc U-Boat

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”