The importance of cleanliness: Declan's Bench

Show off your completed work! One or two pictures and a brief explanation. Let others have a quick look at your finished masterpieces!
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: The importance of cleanliness: Declan's Bench

Post by KSaarni »

Ceaser_Sa1ad wrote: Image
That's a very cool and good looking color! Is that purple Mission Models color ?

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Thank you, I really like the colour. It is (once again) AK Xtreme metals Purple.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

This week has just sucked.
I wet sanded my purple mustang. I expected primer to show up, so that was ok. What I am NOT ok with is when I put on my next purple coat, it lifted in spots. looks super ugly. Pictures will come tomorrow when I have my head cleared again.

Also still need a new bumper, if anyone has one please PM me. Modelcarmags is silent.
"In this galaxy there's a mathematical probability of three million Earth type planets. And in all of the universe, three million million galaxies like this. And in all of that... and perhaps more... only one of each of us." - McCoy
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

And the house flooded again because of the cast iron pipes.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Well, that sort of sucks! Just remember not to sweat the small stuff!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Man I'm really sorry to hear about your plumbing issues bud. It'll all work out in the end but it's getting there that's the tough part. Hang in there lil' buddy.

On the Mustang front......as far as the paint lifting....what kind of primer did you use again? Just curious.

As far as that nose fit goes....I had the exact same issues with my Fastback build. For some reason AMT didn't get the fit right on the drivers side. I've got a GT-350 kit and TWO of the newly released Fastback kits and all have the same problem of a poor fit on between the nose section and the fender on the drivers side. I don't know if yow are wanting to give this another try or if you can use this info on a future build but here are a couple of things that I'm doing to help the situation at hand.

One thing that I did was to lightly sand the leading edge area on the body where the fender meets the nose piece to make a straighter edge at this point here.

You can see gaps above and below that point on the fender if you look. Same problem I had.

Once that's straightened out I noticed that there was a slight interference fit issue behind the headlight on the nose piece so I took a small file and trued the area where the headlight bucket meets the leading edge of the fender called out as area #1 in the photo below. After that I trimmed out the area behind the headlight called out in area #2 in the same photo. These two mods seemed to help things out alot

another thing I did that seemed to help was that I used the back side of my X-Acto knife to carve some of the "meat" out from the drivers side front fender where the backside of the headlight bucket meets the fender from the inside here:

Although the passenger side doesn't seem to have the alignment and fit issues that the drivers side does you can see the difference of what I had to cut down on the drivers side as compared to the same area shown here untouched that's on the passengers side.

I'm still working through this issue with mine but I'm getting closer to the point that I can use a little filler in the gaps and sand it down some. You can see that the top of the headlight bucket is now flush with the fender at the top joint and the sides have cleaner join between the nose piece and the fender all the way down.

This one area of the build is a true nightmare to overcome but a little lovin' will straighten it all out.
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

Thanks Mustang,
I did do what you said about the headlight buckets, but it wasn't enough. I will just have to fill in from the inside and be done with it. I don't want to sand at the paint anymore considering I already have 3 layers of purple and it is beginning to gather dust IN the paint.

The primer was mission models black, I like it.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I did add a couple more pictures to that last post Declan. See if that'll help out as well.

Mission models primer. That's an acrylic thinner right?
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

What type of paint did you use for the purple color?
Ceaser_Sa1ad
Master Member

Post by Ceaser_Sa1ad »

I don't use any thinner in my primer. It lays down by itself. The primer is acrylic yes, and the purple is enamel. It has no more problems, after sanding out the weird lift and then re painting it looks good.

Return to “Member's Gallery”