Pyro 1/144 Man-Of-War: Santa Caterina do Monte Sinai

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
speedgraflex

Pyro 1/144 Man-Of-War: Santa Caterina do Monte Sinai

Post by speedgraflex »

The decades-old smell of an attic, garage or closet environment was potent—coupled with the now weeks-old odor of perfume from more recent handling and shipping let my nose know this was an older estate piece. Man, this thing was ripe in so many ways—six ways from Sunday as the saying goes. Therefore I banished the box and contents to my freshly painted patio. I added some charcoal air freshening bags —and let each piece on each sprue enjoy three days of California smog and sunshine.

The provenance of this particular old kit comes from somebody somewhere on the east coast who loved buying more than building. Nothing wrong with that. Nothing at all. However, there was one major issue, which I will cover in part one of this missive. The rub, as it were. The fly in the ointment.

Here we have sprues of 1966-era Pyro tooled plastic in the same choc-o-late brown as King Kong, and sprues in off-white, which probably once were white, but the years have not been very kind to them, alas. Does anyone care for a photo or will you take my word for it?

These sprues are some of the hardest plastic I have ever used! Charles Atlas could bend the sprues with his bare hands, but I had to use a razor saw, thank you very much. But, but, but, but, so what? That wasn’t the issue. I just built mighty Kong. I was feeling frisky. I was feeling like I could take on anything.

1. The Rub

There were no instructions.

None.

Nada.

Zip.

Zilch.

Zero.

Now, I pride myself as I’m sure many of you do on putting these kits together with or without a good set of instructions. However it certainly is a major help to at least know where the parts are going to go—at least that gives a baseline for fitting the kit together.

No instructions, really?

Yes, really.

Really, really?

I asked Stickpusher Carlos and Lyle Lyle if they had any ideas and they sent me to Scalemates and Model Ship World and that did provide me with page one, so at least that was something. And my heartfelt thanks to you both. You are aces in my book. True aces. Thank you, gents!

2. One page is better than none.

Armed with that one page of knowledge I was quickly able to assemble and carve when the plastic refused to join everywhere the two hull sides with the stern piece. Like Aurora, the Pyro fit was atrocious and resolutely refused to join. Does anyone really build these kits without gaps or is that a talent from days gone by? I think it’s a previous generation’s talent that too much easy fitting has largely made into a scarcity. To digress: I think it’s important for everyone to build an old kit. Old Kits (TM) sharpen the senses and prime the noggin in a very good way. Anyway, it was Gap City here; and I own industrial adhesives, so what could go wrong? Insert evil laughter.

Ultimately, I used the “Aurora Kong” assembly and gluing methodology:

First roughen both sides with 150 grit paper, then brush one side with odorless thin CA and clamp for ten minutes; grind interior and fill with a thin seam of “rope” made from Milliput. Smash the Milliput to fill seams as deeply as necessary with all gaps being addressed as thoroughly throughout; then using old 150 grit again, wet paper and smooth down the putty until it is closer to the surface. Much closer. Smashing and spreading and making a wider seam makes a stronger bond.

Let the whole mess set rock-hard; if there are any gaps or flexing seams then repeat the above filler steps as necessary.

3. Time for a quiz:

Why am I building this kit?

A) I am a glutton for punishment.
B) Old kits rule.
C) I wanted to build a carrack in 1/144.
D) This is a commission.
E) All of the above.

Yes, of course it’s all of the above. I made that easy for you. You’re all my buddies.
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
Stikpusher

Re: Pyro 1/144 Man-Of-War: Santa Caterina do Monte Sinai

Post by Stikpusher »

This will be fun to watch. :wink:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

Stikpusher wrote:This will be fun to watch. :wink:
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Awesome! Did you get any help at Model Ship World?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

speedgraflex wrote:..Does anyone care for a photo or will you take my word for it?...
We'll take your word for it :stinky:

Looking forward to this Bruce - certainly a change from the norm!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is gonna rock! I know with your skills you'll be able to pull this off. I might even pull out my plastic wooden ship kits of the three Columbus ships and re-start them while watching this. Gotta find them first...
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Whooah!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
speedgraflex

Post by speedgraflex »

LyleW wrote:Awesome! Did you get any help at Model Ship World?
Lyle! Thank you so much for your help. I found a cheap-o-war on eBay: it was partially painted and assembled—with instructions. So, I should have this today and the games begin tonight. Thank you once again for being so supportive of all model building especially old kit building. Sincerely.
Stuart wrote:
speedgraflex wrote:..Does anyone care for a photo or will you take my word for it?...
We'll take your word for it :stinky:

Looking forward to this Bruce - certainly a change from the norm!
Stuart! Thank you so much! I’ll take photos of sprues tonight. I’ll have the “builder kit” as well.
Duke Maddog wrote:This is gonna rock! I know with your skills you'll be able to pull this off. I might even pull out my plastic wooden ship kits of the three Columbus ships and re-start them while watching this. Gotta find them first...
Duke! Duke! Duke!

I believe the Santa Maria is a carrack as well.
KSaarni wrote:Whooah!

- Kari
Yes! Why not? I also have a Godzilla commission to complete this month, too. Good times! Old kits!
Bruce / SPEEDGRAFLEX
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

speedgraflex wrote:
LyleW wrote:Awesome! Did you get any help at Model Ship World?
Lyle! Thank you so much for your help. I found a cheap-o-war on eBay: it was partially painted and assembled—with instructions. So, I should have this today and the games begin tonight. Thank you once again for being so supportive of all model building especially old kit building. Sincerely.
Please scan them So they can be saved!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

This will be interesting to watch. Do you wanna borrow this?

Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”