John's 1/48 AVRO CF-105

Something you have never built.
Stikpusher

Re: John's 1/48 AVRO CF-105

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: I’m waiting for the paint gender reveal… :giggles:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I think it's gonna be a 'she' since she is looking great already!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

OK, Carlos, here's your "gender reveal". Put the decals on today, aftermarket, not Hobbycraft. Went on very nicely. I have to admit this project is in danger of exceeding my attention span!

Image[/image]
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Red and white make pink… it’s a girl! :giggles: :wink:

Seriously though, it’s looking great John! Very inspirational work! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Very nice John. Man those are some spindly landing gear - not a carrier bird I take it.
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nicely done! Man, that gear look spindly and fragile, too.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, guys. The gear is spindly but that's just Hobbycraft. If I were to do it right they would look a lot beefier as on the real thing, but my hope is to semi hide the fault with the gear doors. The landing gear is better on the updated kit but I worked on the nose gear mount to get a bit more height there, as well as to give it some strength, the pins that were supposed to fit into sockets weren't long enough to fit in the sockets. I shortened and put steel pins in the main gear to make the model sit in the proper nose high attitude. There is a close up picture of the real main gear up above in this thread.

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Very nice!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
mostrich
Admin

Post by mostrich »

That is looking fantastic! Super tidy work on the scheme, too.
When the sun of culture hangs low even dwarfs throw shadows.
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Thanks, Mike and Torben.

I think this one is done enough for me, it's been a lot of work on a kit that gives you less to work with than it could. It is the second kit Hobbycraft released of the CF-105 in 1/48 and is an upgraded version of the first. Which is to say that it has parts that often do fit to each other, unlike the first kit which I also have. That one has parts that just don't meet the part are supposed to and is generally just a poorer molding in many respects. I added a resin canopy set, ejection seats, wheels, and burner cans from Iroquois Models. The new burner cans were too shallow so I extended them with tubes to deepen the ducting. The canopy set afforded open hatches, although I did use some of the kit clear parts for the front windscreen and the second seat hatches. Decals were made for the instrument panels and side consoles based on photos from some books in my library on the Arrow. I made intake ducts from fiberglass moldings as the kit ducts were only 1/4 inch deep. Iroquois has announced an improved landing gear for this kit, but it is not yet produced and I have my doubts about that happening. If they do I might replace the main gear with them, but in the event I just added some rib detail in the gear bays and added some two part epoxy here and there. I shortened the main gear considerably to get the proper nose high sit for the model, I may have also lengthened the nose gear but may not have. I did lower where it fits in the nose gear bay, as a part of establishing a place to mount it securely as the pins on the strut were too short to reach the appointed spots.

The decals were from Canuck Models and worked very well.

The CF-105 was supplanted by the Bomarc missile, and it's spot was also filled later by CF-101B's. It was a big airplane. The F-101B is pretty large itself, but especially from above the CF-105 looks much larger.

Return to “Cherry Popper Group Build”