Stuart's Zero (Airfix 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2)

Something you have never built.
Stuart
Elite Member

Stuart's Zero (Airfix 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2)

Post by Stuart »

I've been looking forward to this GB since it was first suggested, so here's my first entry - My first Japanese aircraft; Airfix's 1/72 A6M2 Zero.

Picked up for £5-00, this seems to be a nicely detailed little kit with three sprues...

I know a lot of people have commented on the deep panel lines of this earlier generation of NT Airfix kits, but honestly, in my experience with them they look a lot better under some paint and shouldn't be anything to worry about.

I was going to get an AM decal set for this kit, as I prefer the overall greeny-grey scheme used at the time of the attack on Pearl Harbour, however as this little kit contains Cartograf decals it'd be a shame to waste them, so I'll go with the box scheme - at least it's nice and colourful!

The canopy is one piece, but as this'll be oob with the pilot, I doubt you'd see anything if I left it open anyway!

I've also ordered a MIG/AMMO (or whatever they're bloody called these days!) IJN paint set. I'd have rather had an Hataka set, but they don't make one. I just hope these paints are okay.

Anyway - on with the build!

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Re: Stuart's Zero (Airfix 1/72 Mitsubishi A6M2)

Post by Stikpusher »

I will enjoy watching this one. The quality of the new Airfix kits is pretty nice. Even Cartograph decals on this one! So you sure can have a nice build with what comes in the box.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

This is going to be fun to watch. Bring it on Stuart!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Thanks Gents - I think it'll be fun.

Alas I've been painting the Living room today, along with working, so no progress to report - yet.

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Looks like a fun build. Oddly enough and not related, I'm building my first Japanese plane since I was 19 or so - a Tamiya Raiden and I have a zero in the stash. I did the same thing you did and pulled the trigger on all the correct paints so may be more in the future (there's a new RUFE coming :) )
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's cool - I've seen the Raiden thread and looking forward to seeing it finished.

I think getting a set might just be easier than faffing about trying to match - I'll probably end up doing more IJN aircraft anyway :-D

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Great choice! Great a/c, too.

What was your old screen name on here?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Um, well when I started it was Portman, however I can't remember if it was anything else before you changed it to Stuart. Dare I ask why?b :grin:

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Yeah, that’s it! For some reason I could not recal what it was.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I know how you feel about not getting started as soon as you want to. I'm still trying to sort through all the spare parts I have and get them all organized into containers to make them easier to find.

Hopefully soon.
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.

Return to “Cherry Popper Group Build”