What's old is new again

Guns, knives, bows, weapons in general.

NO Politics, None of the stuff we don't allow in other areas. Be nixe.
Glamdring
Advanced Member

What's old is new again

Post by Glamdring »

Had this one pop up in my feed, though it was an interesting viewing. Syrian Rebels pounding a position with some kind of homebrewed cannon. Complete with a cannonball of some sort.

https://youtu.be/a5DJbPgrGWs

Too much to ask for a 1/35 kit some day?
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Re: What's old is new again

Post by BlackSheep214 »

They took the old skool route. :giggles:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Interesting. Looks to be getting the job done, though.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

low velocity for sure - when you can watch the round through it's arc for seconds :giggles: . Would be a fun business to start - Cannon Demolition. Get paid for taking down buildings and sell tickets to nerds like us that want to watch :shoutout:
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

It literally is an old school muzzle loading cannon. I wonder where they got it from? As far as the low velocity goes, it’s not too different from a grenade launcher or mortar. I remember watching 40mm rounds from my M203 arc down range into targets in a similar manner. Even high velocity tank rounds are visible in flight, although at a much greater speed and flatter trajectory. Awesome to watch, like a Star Trek photon torpedo. Of course I still love watching a TOW snake into its target thru the day sight. Nothing else looks quite like that. :ballbat: :hmm:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

keavdog wrote:low velocity for sure - when you can watch the round through it's arc for seconds :giggles: . Would be a fun business to start - Cannon Demolition. Get paid for taking down buildings and sell tickets to nerds like us that want to watch :shoutout:
Hey, wait a second...I think you're onto something with that one! :hmm: Great idea for a 21st Century business John! :bow:

Those Syrians are a resourceful lot. I've always found it interesting that they used WWII Panzer IVs, as well as several other German WWII armored vehicles, up until 1967's Six Day War. The idea of Second World War tanks still fighting in 1967 didn't seem so odd to the Syrians, or the Israelis either apparently, as those IVs faced upgraded Israeli Shermans without success. As the History Guy would say, "It's history that deserves to be remembered!" :grin:

https://wwiiafterwwii.wordpress.com/201 ... n-heights/
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

There's a different cannon at 0:33 with some recoil mechanism
Thanks,
John

Ain't no reason to hang my head, I could wake up in the mornin' dead.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

Stikpusher wrote:It literally is an old school muzzle loading cannon. I wonder where they got it from? As far as the low velocity goes, it’s not too different from a grenade launcher or mortar. I remember watching 40mm rounds from my M203 arc down range into targets in a similar manner. Even high velocity tank rounds are visible in flight, although at a much greater speed and flatter trajectory. Awesome to watch, like a Star Trek photon torpedo. Of course I still love watching a TOW snake into its target thru the day sight. Nothing else looks quite like that. :ballbat: :hmm:
Yes! TOW missiles are awesome to watch!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

Glamdring wrote:Had this one pop up in my feed, though it was an interesting viewing. Syrian Rebels pounding a position with some kind of homebrewed cannon. Complete with a cannonball of some sort.

https://youtu.be/a5DJbPgrGWs

Too much to ask for a 1/35 kit some day?
I don't know about 1/35th but ACE models makes something close in 1/72 scale. These are called "Hell Cannons" used by the Syrians. They are homemade cannons/mortars that fire modded propane tanks:

The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
Glamdring
Advanced Member

Post by Glamdring »

I suddenly have this vision in my head of putting one of those on a 1/72 WW2 tank body of some sort and calling it an M2012 Imam!
aka Robert

"I can't get ahead no matter how hard I try, I'm gettin' really good at barely gettin' by"

Return to “You'll Shoot Your Eye Out, Kid”