Fletcher Class Destroyer USS Wadleigh DD689

Here is the place to show off the progress of your ship builds.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Fletcher Class Destroyer USS Wadleigh DD689

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I've been wanting to build the destroyer my dad served on, USS Wadleigh. I'm using Tamiya 1/350 scale USS Fletcher as a base model since it is a Flecther class destroyer. There are a few modifications I need to do from converting it from a % gun destroyer to a 4 gun destroyer (she was converted to 4 guns in 1953), she has a square bridge, different shape aft deckhouse and deckhouse between the funnels. She also was armed with 20 twin gun emplacements.

Progress pics are as follows...

Deck to hull, all deckhouse sections assembled but not glued to deck - fore, main, and aft deckhouse, guns minus barrels, funnels, radar pod to main bridge and depth charge racks.

The aft gun platform (on left) is incorrect for the Wadleigh.

These are images of the USS Wadleigh as she was in 1953. Circled items are the big changes from the WW2 era USS Fletcher.

Close up images between funnel A and B. You also see the square main bridge. She also has sported a "tri" Main mast. This is an easy solution using aftermarket plastic rods.

This is where I'm stopping. In order to acquire at least a majority of parts to complete this as the Wadleigh, is get the Trumpeter 1/350 scale USS The Sullivans destroyer. The Sullivans is also a Fletcher class destroyer and this kit has the square bridge and other parts I can swap to use on the Fletcher kit.

Until then, I will resume this.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Re: Fletcher Class Destroyer USS Wadleigh DD689

Post by LyleW »

This is gonna be good! Great way to honor you Ad!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The amidships guns look to be the twin 3” type, just like the one over the after turrets. Also notice that the mast configuration changed due to larger heavier radars being mounted. They went from a single pole to a tripod configuration.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Tojo72
Master Member

Post by Tojo72 »

Wow that's going to be a great project.Is your dad still alive,that would be a nice present.

I always wanted to build my father's ship,but there's no kit.It was AKA-91 the USS Whitley.

Looking forward to yours
Last edited by Tojo72 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

This will be a cool build to watch! :popcorn:
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
Paul
Addicted Member

Post by Paul »

I agree with Carlos. There are two 3"/50 twin mounts amidships. I am supposing that the ship that your dad was on was a FRAM I or II conversion. Either way this is going to be an exceptional build to watch.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Tony, my dad passed away in 2017.

Carlos, Yup.... I had caught that it has a tripod mast. Shouldn’t be hard to do. I was aware Wadleigh were armed with 3”/50 twin mounts amidship. I need to find those. Just haven’t had a chance to look yet. I did find an updated mast set on scalemates I’m seriously considering in purchasing it.

Paul, I’m unfamiliar with the term FRAM I or FRAM II conversion or what it means. :bag: :whiteflag: :bag: I know my dad joined the Navy in ‘57 right after high school. One day, I asked him and he told me he joined up because he didn’t want to be drafted. Figured to serve in the Armed Service and get it over with. :bored: Made no sense since by the time he joined the Navy, the Korea conflict was over. The US involvement in Vietnam didn’t start til 1961. So I guess it’s smart he joined up when he did.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

That looks really nice Tom.
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

This project is going to be harder than I anticipated. There are numerous resin aftermarket parts I need to buy:
Square Bridge and deck - Bath Iron Works type, gun barrels 5 inch/38 replacements, Mk 33 3-in/50 Rapid Fire Gun (RFG) mounts

Black Cat twin 3-in/50 RFG mounts are at ... https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/weapons/29 ... un-x2.html ...

Black Cat Mk 56 directors... https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/gun-direct ... tor-x.html ...

Black Cat Mk 51 directors w/Mk 15 gunsights for the Mk 63 GFCS to control the two amidships twin 3-in mounts ... https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/gun-direct ... ht-x8.html ..

I will need two Hedgehogs as well and Black Cat makes those ... https://blackcatmodels.eu/en/anti-subma ... og-x4.html ...

I'll need to scratch build to make the aft deckhouse forward of the aft two 5-in guns and the small deckhouse forward that the Mk 51 w/Mk 15 directors sit on.

I found a brass pole mast on Scalemates and convert it to a TRIPOD MAST, but I'll end up throwing away most of the parts on their mast. Scratch building with brass or plastic rod may be a better option. The most difficult items to find for this build, will be the SPS-6 and SPS-10 radar antennas.

I don't have an issue in purchasing these aftermarket items but not right away.

As far as the aft deck where the twin Mk.33 3 inch/50 cal. sits on can be pirated from the USS The Sullivans kit to be honest. That same kit has the square bridge and deck I need but that's another option instead of buying resin square deck parts. I just need to buy the Trumpeter USS The Sullivans destroyer kit.

A couple members over at Modelwarships forums have been sort of helpful but in a kind of terse way. The feeling I'm getting there if I ask more stupid questions, they're going to get sick of my questions. A lot of the ship terminology is all Greek to me. It looks to me it's going to be a hard undertaking and a huge learning curve for me to figure out everything.

I know there are some ship experts over at FSM who may be of help but it's a moot point right now since I'm banned there. Maybe someone can inquire who's willing to help, steer them to SPAM. If no interest from them, I'll do what I can. I may have to find another model ship forum somewhere.

Return to “Work In Progress: Ships”