Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog-Ending at last!

Here is the place to show off the progress of your armor builds
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog-Ending at last!

Post by Gary Brantley »

I had posted this under the "What's on your workbench now" thread but then I discovered this part of the forum...hey, it really pays to have a look around sometimes! :wink: While I'm mostly an airplane guy, I have had fun building armor models before, and of course, there aren't any canopies to mask. :tongue: Why have I been futzing around with those planes when I could be working on the heavy metal!?! :lol:

For the first time in 25 years or more, I've started work on a tank model, Tamiya's 1/35 M41 Walker Bulldog. That tank was always one of my favorites, just based on its rather "sporty" look. I've had the kit for many years and have almost begun it several times before but now, I'm all in.

Thus far, I've done the road wheels and return rollers and they only require some weathering now. I have attached most of the small parts on the hull and turret and have been working on the "canvas" mantlet cover so often seen on the Bulldog. The kit instructions have a "tutorial" on making one from the box-wrap cellophane, involving two different sized threads, etc. I tried to replicate my cover with PVA-soaked tissue. I've used that technique before to good effect on tarps but this multi-angled mantlet cover proved much more challenging for me. After several attempts, I've stopped. It's fully painted and weathered, needing only a flat clear coat.

The canvas cover was held in place by steel rods with short clamps; the clamps bolted to the turret top and the rod held the canvas down. I've tried to replicate that with plastic rod and aluminum "clamps". I hope to glue a Grandt Line nut on top of each clamp after I get them glued down. They aren't exact copies of course, but I think they'll look okay when painted in the tank's color. There is one long rod across the top and two shorter assemblies on each vertical side-face. I haven't made the short ones yet. Here, it's merely laying across the "tarp"; I'll glue it down to the canvas and then press each "clamp" piece to the turret top when it's attached for good.

I'm doing a Bulldog of ARVN forces. They were the ones who used the M41 in combat most and scored several kills against NVA T54/55 tanks. All of the many photos of them in ARVN use show a dark green color, with lot's of mud on the lower surfaces and rather dusty on top. I picked out a darker green last night just to spray up to the canvas to check the contrast. I don't think that's the final shade of green though. I could sure use some suggests in that area. I had a bottle of ModelMaster Dark Green enamel that seemed pretty close to the photos, but it had turned to gel.

I have a bottle of Model Master enamel in RLM 81 that looks like a good dark green color to begin with on this tank. I want to try several new weathering techniques and some varying shades of green will be tried too.

Here are a few pics to demonstrate my progress after a few days of sporadic activity. It feels good to see something taking shape and I hope to get some paint on her soon!

Here's the cover before any painting was tried:

This is a bit truer color, with no additional lighting at all:

That's all I have so far folks! Thanks for having a look at the Bulldog's progress!
Last edited by Gary Brantley on Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stikpusher

Re: Tamiya M41 Walker Bulldog

Post by Stikpusher »

She’s coming along great so far Gary! I really like the mantlet dust cover that you have improvised on the turret. It looks the part. This is such a fun old kit. Are you planning to also add the missing lift rings on the hull front and the reinforcing stampings on the fender stowage box sides?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Nice work, Gary!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stikpusher wrote:She’s coming along great so far Gary! I really like the mantlet dust cover that you have improvised on the turret. It looks the part. This is such a fun old kit. Are you planning to also add the missing lift rings on the hull front and the reinforcing stampings on the fender stowage box sides?
Thank you sir! I'm not all that happy with that cover but it'll have to do. I suspect that they were treated pretty rough in combat and quite a bit of variation was actually found in use in the field. At any rate, I'm movin' on! :wink: Yes, I plan to add those front lift rings and the side stiffeners on those boxes. I believe I can use stretched-sprue on the box sides, blended in with liquid cement it should be passable. I'll use brass wire, slightly flattened, for the lift rings. You're right, it's a fun, old kit to build! :grin:
LyleW wrote:Nice work, Gary!
Thanks so much Lyle! I hope to have some updates in a day or two. :grin:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Gary Brantley wrote:
Thank you sir! I'm not all that happy with that cover but it'll have to do. I suspect that they were treated pretty rough in combat and quite a bit of variation was actually found in use in the field. At any rate, I'm movin' on! :wink: Yes, I plan to add those front lift rings and the side stiffeners on those boxes. I believe I can use stretched-sprue on the box sides, blended in with liquid cement it should be passable. I'll use brass wire, slightly flattened, for the lift rings. You're right, it's a fun, old kit to build! :grin:
That’s exactly how I did those detail items when I built mine ages ago. One other thing to dress up the old girl is to replace the kit .50 cal. with a better detailed one. There are so many available to choose from.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
Floki
Elite Member

Post by Floki »

Nice looking dust cover.
March as one, Don't look back
Odin's sons... Attack!
Unleash hell! Do not repent! Warfare grants us no lament
Let your weapons slash and tear This is no place for fear
Hold the lines! Move as one! In unity our victory's won
Our shields will form a mighty wall
United we shall never fall
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Stikpusher wrote:
Gary Brantley wrote:
That’s exactly how I did those detail items when I built mine ages ago. One other thing to dress up the old girl is to replace the kit .50 cal. with a better detailed one. There are so many available to choose from.
Carlos, I'm considering doing the M2 like this one; seems a simple (and cheap :wink: ) way around the kit's gun. Also notable in this pic are the square front fenders. So many of the ARVN Bulldogs have those angled fenders. I had thought about cutting the kit's fenders and modifying them but now, with this pic, I probably won't. :grin:

Floki wrote:Nice looking dust cover.
Thanks Clint!
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Looking good and coming along nicely. The gun cover mantle looks great.

I, too, had a few bottles of Testors Model Master gel up me. Frustrates me to no end knowing Model Master is no more. May have to look into other brands of paint for replacement/replenish colors. One I really want is Flory Weathered black but even that is harder to find and expensive - $55 for one bottle of same brand and color on eBay. :bored:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

BlackSheep214 wrote:Looking good and coming along nicely. The gun cover mantle looks great.

I, too, had a few bottles of Testors Model Master gel up me. Frustrates me to no end knowing Model Master is no more. May have to look into other brands of paint for replacement/replenish colors. One I really want is Flory Weathered black but even that is harder to find and expensive - $55 for one bottle of same brand and color on eBay. :bored:
Thanks Tom! :bow: Yeah, I'm already really missing Model Master paints. I hate that I can't replace them anymore as they're used up, or turn bad. I've never had any issues with using that paint; I guess it's always been MM or Humbrol for me and perhaps even more Humbrol from here on. Is there another line of enamel paint with lot's of choices? I'm a little hesitant to pay those Ebay prices for Model Master these days!
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Hey Tom, can you post a pic of the bottle of the Flory Weathered black?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..

Return to “Work In Progress: Armor”