Rio Red and ?

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
LyleW
Admin

Re: Rio Red and ?

Post by LyleW »

Well, boy howdy, I ate my share at the Christmas table. Good news is my socks still fit!

Dug the interior tub and front seat assy out on this guy. It has been (attempted) painted, masked, stripped, painted, masked stripped....well, you get the picure.

I am having another go at it and manually cutting the masks using a new #11 scaple blade. I really like this tool for cutting tape. Oh, yes it is quite sharp. Kinda makes the Xacto blade look like a stick. it was $14 from Amazon.

Anyway, here we are. I'm thinking of spraying lighter coats rather than the firehose approach. that may help.

The real PITA is getting the masking on the sides of the interior tub and doing something about the lame window crank. I'm thinking a small disk of styrene and a straight pin that is cut and bent?

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

For those missing cranks, I would try some strip and rod styrene. Some rod for the handle knob, a larger diameter rod for the crankshaft portion, and some strip tapered for the handle extension. Hope that I have the terms correct there.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Terminology, schmermonology....I got what you are getting after. Thanks for the ideas.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

BlackSheep214 wrote: Sun Mar 27, 2022 9:48 am Lyle.... I’ve got a set of 4 whitewall tires if you want them that I’ll never use. They came from the ‘57 Ford kit I’m working on.
The '57 Chevy is an automotive icon, no doubt about it, and a handsome design. But ironically, 1957 was the first time in years that Ford outsold Chevrolet. Yet, few remember '57 Fords, or just what they looked like. That classic Chevy's good looks just over-shadowed those good sellin' Fords. :grin:

Watching this one unfold is interesting Lyle. That '57 Belair needs a red '57 'Vette companion... :wink: :grin:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

The companies should have their butts kicked all over the room for that :scream: red plastic. Hard to cover.
Gary Brantley
Addicted Member

Post by Gary Brantley »

Heh, heh, so I've heard! Spray Kilz to the rescue! :lol:
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

So much for feeling good about some effort. Thought I would spray some clear to seal the edges.BAD, move. A lot of the masks simply lifted and came off. :headbang: :headbang:
Duke Maddog
Elite Member

Post by Duke Maddog »

I know how you feel with a model fighting you like that! Three of the last eight I built did exactly that. You got this Lyle!
The Duke
Virtuoso of Miniatures

"Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I get and beat you with 'till you understand who's in ruttin' command!"
-Jayne Cobb, Firefly Episode 2 "The Train Job"

We are modelers - the same in spirit, in hunger to insanely buy newly released kits, hustlers in hiding our stash from our better halves and experts in using garbage as replacements for after-market parts.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Hmmm... I’ve been using the newer super sharper Xacto blades from Walmart. Looks the crafts department.

I am interested and curious about your new scalpel blades. Would they fit on the Xacto knife handles? :hmm:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Mark, I’m glad someone thinks I have this! :whiteflag:

Tom, I have a bunch of the Z-series blade and really like them. This puts them to shame for tape work. I think you could fiddle with it and make it fit a regular #11 handle. The one supplied with this is very comfortable to use and has the extra benefits of not rolling away as well as being different enough you know what you have in your hand.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”