AMT ‘57 Ford Fairlane Hardtop

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

AMT ‘57 Ford Fairlane Hardtop

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I’m taking a break from aircraft kits until I find a suitable display case for them. So my next build is an AMT ‘57 Ford Fairlane Hardtop.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-101 ... d--1097253

(posted the link til I post up the pic of boxcover)
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
midnightprowler
Addicted Member

Re: AMT ‘57 Ford Fairlane Hardtop

Post by midnightprowler »

Looking forward to it. I have one in the works. Making a ragtop out of it.
1 Corinthians 15:51-54
1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
Ask me about Speedway Decals.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Odd.... the instruction guide skipped a step to install the engine. Nor shows where radiator hose from engine to radiator. :headslap: :headbang:

Looking to carve out the stock exhaust system that’s molded to chassis.... Why molded in if one is gonna do drag version???? :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Last night I managed to remove the molded in stock exhaust system ( :bored: ) with my Dremel tool the best I could. Now I need to buy new Perfect Plastic Putty to fill in the holes.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Having a heck of time locating Perfect Plastic Putty but I’ve still got a couple places to look.... Lowe’s and Home Depot. Walmart didn’t have any. Hobby Lobby don’t carry it. :bored:

But progress made on the engine. Will post pics after I’m done with it. I was going to wire the distributor but I don’t have tiny drill bits. This calls for a side trip to Harbor Freight soon since I need to restock on disposable gloves. I do recall seeing tiny drill bits there the last time I stopped by to browse the store. :whistle:

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Progress pics from these last few days...

I'm building this as Drag version...

Tires and slicks. Rims painted using Chrome yellow

Engine...

Instruction guide says to cut rear wheel flares opening for slicks. I sued the micro carbide drill bit to drill holes along dotted line inside rear fenders. Sanded to smooth the best I could.

Interior. Flat Battle Grey and Gloss Dark Blue. Roll cage from another kit, Custom seats from kit.

Now the PITA job to grind out molded in exhaust system. I couldn't find Perfect Plastic Putty locally but settled to use Testors putty I had on hand instead. Not the greatest but it'll have to do. I did applied Mr. Surfacer to fill in to smooth spots. I will post pics of that later.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Do you have a small razor saw, some styrene, four pick...uh, just the first two items. Might save a bit of work.

By the way off to a great start!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you Lyle.

Razor saw? Yup... got one of those.

Styrene sheet? Nope. Got lazy and too cheap to buy a sheet. So I took the lazy route, Not gonna see the chassis once built.

Paint on body has been done. Top portion was done a few days ago. Lower half done earlier tonight. Pics forthcoming...

keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Cool Tom. Wheels look great - putting down yellow is always an issue for me but yours look great. Motor looks cool too - dig the big velocity stacks.
Thanks,
John
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Body is painted using Pollyscale Railroad Colors CXS Yellow and decanted Rustoleum 2X Ultra Satin Ink Blue.

Yellow is a hard color to do but with several layers of light coats, it can be achieved. Hood is painted yellow as well.

Next to retouch the red stripe and start the chrome trim using Molotow Chrome pen.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”