Williams Brothers Curtis C-46 Commando

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
LyleW
Admin

Re: Williams Brothers Curtis C-46 Commando

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, guys. I really don't want to give up on this for a couple of reasons. 1) I give up on too many, now. 2) what Dick Mulloy meant to me and my flying adventures. More this than #1.

Now, do I paint the canopy black, a dark gray, smoke, or dull coat to fog it? Your opinion matters. When I am done, it will be smooth, and flush to the fuselage. I can polish most of it to a state of being clear enough, but that seam along the top is probably too much.

Pics...
Gap first filling with Bondo

Second fill with Bondo

The "big ugly"

And final (I hope) fill with Tamiya Gray putty

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Kyle, I would just get it all filled and sanded smooth and paint it black. Mask the windows (don't forget the eyebrows) and paint the rest of the airplane. I think that will give you a nice result. There isn't much to see in the cockpit, I certainly never look in there in mine.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: Well Lyle did put all the tiny PE stuff in there on the flight deck. Concealing that with paint kind of defeats the purpose of that effort…. :headslap:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Thanks, John and Carlos. Yeah, I did do some of the PE in the cockpit. I'll miss the instrument panel, but John said, I never look at them afterwards. It is pretty smoth now.

one coat of satin black applied...because that is what was in reach.

To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

:cool:

Probably a good idea Lyle, it'll certainly help get it all filled, and at least you can carry on with it.
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

I was going to agree with John... paint it a solid color like black or blue, mask the windows and continue on. And I think it looks better already.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Stuart and John, thanks.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I was going to suggest a coat of Future on the canopy. Usually it helps remove some of the scratches. I would have used Mr. Surfacer to take care of those gaps around the sides. But hey, it is a shame you have to paint it black to hide the PE. Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

It was coated in the Gauzy glass coat. There was hope until I had to re set the halves. I don’t know how, but the center seam went from very manageable to Grand Canyon. And the was some junk that appeared on the inside. The outside was coming along nicely but with the other stuff, it was not salvageable.
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

I really hate it when this kind of stuff happens but it looks like your recovery efforts are prevailing here Lyle. Way to go on continuing onwards bud. :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”