Williams Brothers Curtis C-46 Commando

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Williams Brothers Curtis C-46 Commando

Post by jkim »

Those gaps don't look like fun at all, especially when they are hard to reach like next to an engine nacelle.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

They ere interesting! Not unmanageable, though.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

That's a great attitude to have, Lyle! I actually like filling and finishing gaps and seams. To a certain point anyway!
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

LyleW wrote:The bottom pic wasn’t as bad as it looks...not pushed together. Moving on. Wings are on and mostly done.

Sounds strange, especially to me, but this and the boat have been far more enjoyable than they should. :hmm:
I can understand this too. The Mig-29 I'm doing had all kinds of gaps and steps but it's been a really fun build.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

jeaton01 wrote: Lyle, here's the drawing, and a link to where you can download it as a pdf which might be better for printing to the right size.

I guess I am just dense today. Sugar high/low or something.

The floor panel in the kit is almost identical to your drawing. It printed to scale it seems. I will have to come up with a way to cut out the bulkhead pieces and will cut a paper floor to use for shimming/building up the kit piece. Need a tiny band saw...bet Micro Mark has them.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

some slow progress.

Wing joins on the underside.

Port side:

starboard side:

And, now from the "What The Hell Was I Thinking Department....Some idiot convinced me to open up the intakes on the cowling. This is about 30 min to do one. This is the first time I've tried this.

jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Intakes on cowlings can be tricky because, ideally, you need to remove material AND preserve the shape of the cowling.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

jkim wrote:Intakes on cowlings can be tricky because, ideally, you need to remove material AND preserve the shape of the cowling.
Yes, so true...For the first time attempting this, I am mostly satisfied. I need to find some thinner, flatter needle files, though.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Intakes are opened up. Not too bad for a first attempt.

And since no decent into madness is complete without doing cowl flaps....The one on the left - I've added a small "shelf" to rest the flaps on. We'll see if that works. On the right, I used the wrong eye to cut. Have to fill that little ooppsie in.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

One done. Okay, I guess. I will let it dry for a while and then try to clean up where it needs it.

I used the pieces I cut out, since they already have the bend in them.

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”