Foose FD-100 Ford Pick up

Here is the place to show off the progress of your automobile builds
LyleW
Admin

Re: Foose FD-100 Ford Pick up

Post by LyleW »

Looks nice! And neat and clean!
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

First the good stuff. Engine complete. Dry fit on chassis. Yeah... that looks good.

Now the bad. This puzzling for me why this is happening when I spray gloss clearcoat. I used Rustoleum 2X rattlecan (enamel) - my usual go-to clearcoat.

I decanted Testors Extreme Lacquer Root Beer Metallic and shot it through airbrush outdoors when it was warm out, little breeze; no humidity - usually 2 or 3 coats. I let dry for a day and a half - two days. You will see spots where it should have been glossy but it's not.

Rear of cab:

Roof of cab:

Fenders and doors:

Truck bed fenders: Only showed one side, Other side is same thing.

Bed:

Top of dashboard. The front facing area is fine.

Firewall:

The hood is a mess - orange peel underside, topside faded spots. It's currently in a stripping bath.

Any clue what's the cause? I'm thinking strip it all off and try again and spray straight out of the rattlecan.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Oh wow! Time for a bath?
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

Heya Tom,
What airbrush are you using? PSI? How old is the paint?Describe how you're applying the paint i.e. needle opened up halfway or wide open. Gimme as much detail as you can and we'll take 'er from there. I know that's very frustrating for you man. Hang with it.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

My standby workhorse Paasche H. I really don’t know the PSI but I mainly wing it. If it sprays decently, I’m good. Needle I usually open it up fairly wide. I didn’t thin decanted paint since I’ve had good luck straight out of the rattlecan. I do stir it up after decanting to help release the gas before airbrushing.

Paint is new. Bought it at Hobby Lobby 3 weeks ago.

If I have to put it in another bath, I’ll do it. I’ll probably will have to buy another can anyway.

Gloss clearcoat I spray straight out of the rattlecan in multiple coats.
Last edited by BlackSheep214 on Sat May 21, 2022 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

LyleW wrote:Oh wow! Time for a bath?
Looks like it may have to be. Funny thing is I’ve been going slow on this one and being patient trying to achieve the perfect coat.

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I know certain paint reacts to others - lacquer being the hottest compared to enamel and acrylics.

I’m not sure if the enamel clearcoat reacted to lacquer paint and caused some spots to fade. The clearcoat on the Mustang is acrylic straight out of the rattlecan - Krylon brand. I know I mentioned how much I hate Krylon but their acrylic clearcoat sprays nicely with no issues.

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

On the last note about the enamel over lacquer issue. My experience is that enamel paint will work fine over lacquer but NOT the other way around. Lacquer uses a different solvent that dries ALOT quicker and will wrinkle any enamel paint that it's sprayed onto.

I usually spray my color and clear coats at around 25psi. I start by misting the color or clear onto the surface all the way around the car/ truck body starting at the bottom and working my way up to the top. Once I've got the mist coat on I'll gradually open the needle/ cone up to get more color onto the surface. It's not until I've got the color pretty much on the whole body in a uniform manner that I'll start opening up the needle/ cone to get my wet coats started. It's a gradual build up and it's hard not to go for broke and get a loaded wet coat on. Resist that and build up your wet coats and keep the body moving so you get good and uniform coverage. Once the color coat is on I make the car /truck body "disappear" for two days and then wet sand any imperfections out and do the whole process again with the clear coat. Decant when possible (color AND clear), try to stay with brands of paints that work and you'll have more control and more precise coverage (for me, in the past it's been Model Master color and clears and lately it's MCW color and MM clear) Believe me Tom, it took me three years to get this method down but it works perfect for me every time. Let me know if you need anything else and I'll try my best to give you something you can use. Hope this helps man.
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you, Joe. It looks like I’m going to have to dip the whole damn thing in a stripping bath and start over. Maybe misting is what I should have done in the first place then come back gradually with the AB needle open wider. That’s exactly what I was trying to achieve - a nice loaded wet coat but yeah - lacquer paint does dry fast.

I’ll be honest, this was my first time using Testors Extreme Lacquer paint. I am sort of disappointed with the way it behaved when I airbrushed it on. For some reason, it just wasn’t giving me the glossy coat as I thought it would.

Maybe I should look into MCW paints for a better root beer metallic paint instead of going through the trouble of decanting all over again. Same thing for their clear coats.

mustang1989

Post by mustang1989 »

You should be alright with the Extreme Lacquer paints and decanting Tom. Care just has to be taken not to go to fast in trying to achieve the color coat. It's a gradual process with lacquer. If you can , try to use the Testors clear coats as well. It's a combination that, once it's found, is one that you'll want to stay with. I don't know anything about MCW clears but for me the MCW color coat and Testors Wet Look clears (always decant Wet Look) are the way to go. You'll get it, just keep trying and you'll get what works for you.

Return to “Work In Progress: Automobiles”