Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Brown 4

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: Hasegawa 1/32 Fw 190D-9 Brown 4

Post by jkim »

Thanks for the comments! After a longer than intended stay in Hawaii, I'm back home in California. Still have lots of post-trip logistics to deal with but I was able to re-visit the work on Brown 4 and make a bit of progress.

I've decided to paint the tail unit in the standard RLM 76 light blue (Mr Hobby Aqueous and lightened with a bit of white). A few color profiles of Brown 4 show this and I thought it looked interesting. It's also plausible/possible since the tail unit was manufactured and painted separately. The fabric-covered rudder will receive a mottle per other Mimetall-manufactured Doras like Blue 12.

The white upper wing crosses were painted using custom-cut masks.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

The horizontal stabilizers have been painted and temporarily mounted. The upper fuselage camo colors need to be sprayed on.

The bottom is further along, paint-wise. The flap openings have been masked off and painted RLM 02 Grey (Mr Hobby Aqueous).
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Looking very sharp John. Just curious, but do you know when they got to the point in production where the wing undersides were left in bare metal, as you’ve done here? I really like the look of it, but am curious as to when that started happening to see if I could possibly incorporate it into a future build of mine.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thank you Carlos! I don't really know when this practice started and how uniform the application was. The D-9 was manufactured at a number of different factories (Mimetall, Cottbus, Fiesler, FW, etc) and the underwing treatments were not consistent from factory to factory. Knowing the Werk Number of the particular aircraft will identify factory of origin and help to identify possible/probable bottom pattern. My build is based on JaPo's identification of the W2 bottom scheme for Mimetall aircraft and whatever I could discern in the photos of Brown 4 (Werk Number 500547).

John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Thanks John. When I get to that point, I’ll hit you up about the undersides. I do like the W2A scheme.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Finally got around to spraying the upper fuselage colors. This will primarily be Dark Brown RLM81 (AK Real Color Version 1 lightened with a bit of Off-White).

The tail was lightly misted with the RLM81 color and the rudder was mottled using a combination of RLM76 over RLM81.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

I can’t comment any more than what I’ve been stating Allie time. Too busy trying to pick my jaw off the floor seeing your build progresses from beginning to end.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

I can only dream of this kind of skill :wow:
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys!

Painting continues with the tail markings. The Werk Number and swastika was scanned from the Eagle Editions decal sheet and traced using AutoCAD. This allowed me to cut paint masks using the Silhouette Portrait cutter. The black fuselage cross was added at this stage as well.

The swastika looked too big and when I checked the decal sheet again, I found that I had traced the wrong swastika. So after sanding down the edges of the newly-painted Werk Number and swastika, I covered up the tail with paint again. I've also started adding the Bright Green RLM 82 (AK Real Colors) to the top of the fuselage.

After the corrected swastika and Werk Number were added back to the tail, the masking tape around the black and white tail bands were removed.

I still need to add the Brown "4" and dash but painting is almost finished.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

The brown "4" and bar are masked and painted.

With the completion of these markings, the painting is stage is just about complete.

Note that part of the "4" appears to be curved when viewed from behind.
John aka JKim
-----------<><

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”