1//32 Hasegawa Ki-61-1 Tei Hien

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1//32 Hasegawa Ki-61-1 Tei Hien

Post by jkim »

Some lessons learned from the port side, I went ahead and tried the Sentai markings on the starboard side of the tail. The most critical thing was getting the dangling portions of the mask into the correct position. The Oramask material can stretch and distort, especially on uneven surfaces, so I'm trying to minimize the distortion.

Once the main mask is secured into place, the white is sprayed.

The thin outline mask is then put into position. The inner mask has two parts and I use tape to keep those two parts together. It's easier to place these two into place than the skinny border only. After positioning the two parts within the outline mask, the inner mask is removed, leaving just the border piece. Micro Mask is used to seal any gaps between the two mask parts.

Then the blue is sprayed. It's important to give adequate time for the paint to dry between mask applications. That was probably one of the reasons the port side came out a little ragged. I'm always fighting my inclination to move quickly but luckily, these acrylic-lacquers dry quickly.

Patience netted a much cleaner result on the starboard side.

A white stripe was added between the tail and hinomaru.

The last major marking to be painted is the blue/white diagonal sash. Instead of pre-cut masks, I used strips of Tamiya tape to establish the outline of the sash. This is painted white.

After the white is dry, I cut thin strips of Tamiya tape and masked the borders of the stripe. Instead of Micro Mask, it was easier to seal the joints with more strips of tape. The blue is then sprayed.

Ok... so the major markings are just about done.

I'm going to do some touch-up work and then we'll seal the markings with a gloss coat and apply some small decals.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Gorgeous scheme! :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout: :shoutout:
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Just wow...... :bow:
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

:shoutout:

Beautiful paint work John!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! I initially saw this scheme on a Hasegawa box top and thought that it was a cool scheme that I don't commonly see. Plus, it happened to be a Tei variant, of which I had the Wolf Pack conversion... easy choice!

Markings have been tweaked and massaged. At this point, the major painting is complete so let's take a look at her in the light box...

John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

Not too much longer until you can call this one complete. Looking real good! :shoutout:
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
keavdog
Elite Member

Post by keavdog »

Fantastic. Makes me feel guilty for complaining about masking off straight line stuff :bag:
Thanks,
John
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

keavdog wrote: Thu Jul 27, 2023 10:33 am Fantastic. Makes me feel guilty for complaining about masking off straight line stuff :bag:
Right? :whistle:

FLSM
TheMongoose
Advanced Member

Post by TheMongoose »

Oh those stripes look good, very good! Those colors have a nice solid, bright tone to them the way you applied them.
Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

It looks great!
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”