1//32 Hasegawa Ki-61-1 Tei Hien

Post your work in progress of your aircraft builds in here.
jkim
Elite Member

Re: 1//32 Hasegawa Ki-61-1 Tei Hien

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! The clear parts I am using are the 3-part version that allows for the canopy to be posed in the open position. As you can see in the previously posted photo, it looks ok in the closed position as well so I will probably leave the canopy unglued.

The work on the Hien Tei continues slowly. After painting the interior frames black, the windscreen was glued into place with a combination of Tamiya Extra Thin (plastic-plastic connections) and CA glue (plastic-resin connections).

The obvious gaps were filled in with White Milliput. After the windscreen/fuselage joint was cleaned up, the area was sealed with Mr Primer Surfacer 1000.

The prop blades and spinner components were given a base coat of Tamiya AS-12 Silver (decanted into the airbrush). Hairspray was applied over the silver before the brown color (2:1 mix of Tamiya XF-79 Deck Brown and Tamiya XF-7 Flat Red). Rubbing a stiff paint brush moistened with water will disrupt the hairspray layer and create a chipping effect. The chipping effects were sealed with a gloss coat (Alclad Aqua Gloss). The yellow stripes near the prop tips were masked and painted. The yellow data plates are decals from the Wolfpack Flying Swallows Part 2 decal sheet.

The prop spinner will be two-tone in color and still needs the blue to be masked and painted.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

The prop is looking very sharp John. I really like your color mix for the brown.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
tempestjohnny
Elite Member

Post by tempestjohnny »

Really like the chipping on the spinner
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Very nice work on the propeller blades. Taking notes since one of the kits I've been putzing around with is the "Oscar".

Are the yellow stripes on the propeller blade on front and back? The decal set from the kit only provided me only for the front, none for the back. I rather paint them instead of using decals.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks for the comments! Much appreciated!
BlackSheep214 wrote: Fri May 12, 2023 5:57 pm Very nice work on the propeller blades. Taking notes since one of the kits I've been putzing around with is the "Oscar".

Are the yellow stripes on the propeller blade on front and back? The decal set from the kit only provided me only for the front, none for the back. I rather paint them instead of using decals.
The yellow stripes on the prop blades are front only. I'm assuming that the primary danger of the spinning prop would come from the frontal approach?

After the blue portion of the spinner was painted (3:1 mix of Tamiya X-14 Sky Blue and Tamiya X-4 Blue), the prop components were given a couple of rounds of salt weathering.

Contemplating how to mask off the cockpit opening when I get to the painting stage, I came up with a brilliant idea. I took the unused one-piece clear part and sawed it apart.

Once the rear canopy part is glued in, I have the perfect mask for the middle section.

Noticing that the Eduard mask has sets for both the 3-part and 1-part canopy options, I will take this idea a little further.

I will prepare two versions of the sliding canopy. One for the closed position, which will also serve to mask off the cockpit, and one for the open position. You can see the differences between the two parts in the following photo.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
KSaarni
Elite Member

Post by KSaarni »

Smart with the canopies!

And John, your build & the pictures astonishing as always!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Thank you for the inquiry on the propeller stripe. The reason I asked is the box cover showed the yellow stripe in the backside of the prop blur.

Now I understood why they gave me 3 prop stripe decals.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
jeaton01
Elite Member

Post by jeaton01 »

Another impressive but of work, John.
My modelling website, with build logs.

http://goldeneramodel.com/mymodels/mymodels.html
jkim
Elite Member

Post by jkim »

Thanks guys! The work on the Hien is moving forward slowly. I've painted the front frame of the rear canopy piece with the interior green color since it will be visible when the canopy is in the open position. It is glued in using Tamiya Extra Thin.

I've decided to glue in the supercharger intake at this time. Since the engine cowling is resin, I used thin CA glue to attach it.

Please note that I have two versions of the sliding canopy part. Version 1 will be used when I want to show the canopy open and Version 2 will be used when the canopy is shut. For now, Version 2 will be fit into place. It's a tight friction fit and will serve as a mask for the cockpit opening during painting.

The radiator/oil cooling unit was painted black. The grill was drybrushed with Testors Silver to highlight the details. The interior surfaces of the radiator/oil cooling unit was painted with Alclad Dark Aluminum.

The radiator unit was then glued into place.
John aka JKim
-----------<><
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

All those small details add up John. Your slow & steady progress is going to pay off handsomely Im sure.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Aircraft Work in Progress”