Testors 1/48 Curtis Racer

Highlighting the aircraft during the interwar period between WW 1 and WW 2. Military and civillian. There are some great and colorful subjects and a number of air racers. Tuild one, Build them all!

Runs from July 1, 2022 until December 31, 2022

Carlos Cisneros (Stikpusher) and/or John Eaton (jeaton01) are moderators of this one.
LyleW
Admin

Testors 1/48 Curtis Racer

Post by LyleW »

I'll go ahead and throw this one on here, too.

This is the current state. Doing the rigging is driving me nuttier than usual. the bottom wing popped off, which was a good thing. There was a lot of paint damage, etc from trying to get the rigging in place. So, we punted and re-painted, drilled some holes (resulting in broken struts - which have been fixed). Now we are back to getting the rigging on the floats, then adding the lower wing back and doing that rigging...then the top wing, and so on.

It was primed with the Duplicolor Gray, which usually adheres pretty well. The orange is Model Master Acrylic International Orange. The Blue is Model Master Enamel Blue Angels Blue. The OD is Tamiya TS-5 Olive Drab, The bare aluminum on the bottom of the floats is Tamiya TS-AS-12 Bare Metal Silver and the gold is Tamiya TS-21 Gold.

For some reaon the orange has lifted almost every time the tape has touched it. It actually pulled one entire surface on the bottom of the starboard elevator plumb off. Down to bare plastic it seems. Perhaps that wasn't primed. I don't know. Anyway, it is patched up and we wjill keep at the rigging.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Re: Testors 1/48 Curtis Racer

Post by Stikpusher »

:hmm: Ah… a racer floatplane!
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I also bought another of these. There is a black one hanging in a museum I'm gonna bo with it.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

Nice, that is a cracking looking little racer.

Being a lazy arse modeller, I've yet to actually rig a biplane :whistle: , so you're a braver man than me!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

This was supposed to be on the opening post...

This is it now..

BlackSheep214
Elite Member

Post by BlackSheep214 »

Nice oldie subject. I remember seeing that kit in my early teen years.
“Who controls the skies, controls the fate of this Earth”

Author unknown- 352nd Fighter Group, Blue-Nosed Bastards of Bodney

“Send one plane it’s a sortie; send two planes it’s a flight; send four planes it’s a test of airpower. - Richard Kohn
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

That's looking good Lyle, I love the colours!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

if i could just get the darn wires on.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Hooray for me! You have no idea how happy I am to get these particular pieces of rigging in place.

LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

TIME TO GO BUY A POWERBALL TICKET!

Lower portions have the rigging done! and the wing is attached.

Now, I am really going to test fate. I have to replace the flapper valve in a terlet. . . (Toilet or loo)! This should be fun. A five minute repair, right? Right?

Return to “Yellow Wings and Golden Era GB”