Aircraft of the Kentucky Air National Guard

To discuss future builds, build planning for the future, time travel, etc. Our meeting next week was well attended.
LyleW
Admin

Aircraft of the Kentucky Air National Guard

Post by LyleW »

My goal is to get (in 1/48 scale) the aircraft they flew. I have the C-130, an F-84, a C-47, an AT-6 (well, a Texan), a F-86 (on order), a P-51D (on order) and I need to get an RB-57, an RF-101, an RF-4. I cannor find the L-5 Sentinel in 1/48 or in anything but vacuform. Not going there. I am not sure if I will get the J-model C-130 to throw in the mix.

These guys are awesome. One of the most decorated units in the USAF. Their lineage can be somewhat traced back to the 1920s, sort of.
There was an article stating the KY Guard may get an aero company, but the first known aviator was Bee R. Osborne, who was licensed in 1916.

Jumping to the post-WW2 time, the Kentucky Air Guard was formed in 1947. The 359th Fighter Group and the 368th Fighter Squadron who has achieved such success in World War II were redesignated as the 123rd Fighter Group and the 165th Fighter Squadron
and allotted to Kentucky along with the previous colors and battle credits including the Presidential
Unit Citation.

As a totally irrrevalent side note, I worked with the son of one of the KY ANG commanders, Gen. Phillip Ardery. Ardery was a B-24 pilot in WW 2.

In some history notes I've found, they flew

1946 - P-51 Mustang
1952 - F-84 Thunderjet
1956 - F-86 Sabre
1958 - RB-57 Canberra
1965 - RF-101 Voodoo
1976 - RF-4C Phantom
1989 - C-130 B Hercules
1992 - C-130 H Hercules
C-130 J Hercules

Also,
they flew a C-47, AT-6 and an L-5. I'm sure there have been other support a/c along the way.

In Memoriam – Kentucky Air National Guard

There are a number of others, including at least one crew of a C-130 that crashed on landing at Owensboro KY (I think). Finding was that a squat switch failed and the props went into reverse before touch down.

This gentleman, Capt. Thomas F. Mantel, was the first airman lost by the KYANG. He was lost chasing a UFO. One of the first, if not the first, such incident.

Anyway, long winded, but heartfelt. My daughter-in-law was a photographer in the 123rd Airlift Wing. I don't know if she can help with contacts or not. Seems like we talked about this at one time. Good news is the 51,84, 86 were BMF, the 101 was, but I seem to remember it being done up in SEA schemes, too. I worked for the FAA during my summers off from college. It was so much fun to watch them operate ... they would put on quite the show leaving. The F-4s were in SEA and the C-130s the dark gray.

Any comments, advice, research help, etc. would be appreciated.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
KSaarni
Elite Member

Re: Aircraft of the Kentucky Air National Guard

Post by KSaarni »

Unfortunately no advice from me, but just a simple comment: Really interesting story & project Lyle!

- Kari
---
On the bench:
Tamiya F-4B Phantom II 1/48
Kinetic F-16A (new tool) 1/48

https://www.facebook.com/GrundAsk-Scale ... 721218708/
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

if anyone has an RB-57, L-5 or both in 1/48 - I have cookies to trade...maybe even candy or a fuel card for a tank of gas.
To make each build less crappy than the last one. Or, put another way, "Better than the last one, not as good as the next one!"..
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

I like the sound of it Lyle. As far as the RB-57 goes, did the KY ANG fly the standard or long wing version?
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Haven’t been able to find out yet. I’ve put a call into the base to see if I can get access to the 101 and F-4 they have on display. I hope to at least talk with them.
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

Here is a picture. Identified as a B-57B-MA, no”R”...this looks short winged to me, but....

Medicman71
Elite Member

Post by Medicman71 »

There are kits of the C-130J out there as well.
Mike

Sponsored by Boeing, Lockheed Martin, Northrop Grumman, Saab, BAE, and Dassault
LyleW
Admin

Post by LyleW »

I think I knew that. I remover having a hard time finding anything else...
Stuart
Elite Member

Post by Stuart »

What an superb idea Lyle - looking forward ot seeing your builds.
LyleW wrote:Here is a picture. Identified as a B-57B-MA, no”R”...this looks short winged to me, but....

Can't really help with kits Lyle, the only 1/48 Canberra I have is a B.(I).8.

Airfix did do an 1/48 RB-57 kit - there is one for sale on UK ebay:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/144695635538 ... R4Km17DdYA

However, according to the Modelling madness review - You'll find that the later boxing, only sold as a B-57 kit, still has the parts for an RB-57 in it - as Airfix had a habit of doing.

Here's the review...

https://modelingmadness.com/scott/viet/ ... /10104.htm

Cheers!
Stuart Templeton 'I may not be good but I'm slow...'

My blog: https://stuartsscalemodels.blogspot.com/
Stikpusher

Post by Stikpusher »

LyleW wrote:Here is a picture. Identified as a B-57B-MA, no”R”...this looks short winged to me, but....

Yeah, that’s a standard wing B-57. Certain RB and WB 57s had the extended wings and larger “big mouth” engines. That KY ANG Canberra can be made from the Classic Airframes kit. The Airfix kit is another option if you can find it.
"Surely I have made my meaning plain? I intend to avenge myself upon you, Admiral. I have deprived your ship of power, and when I swing 'round, I intend to deprive you of your life."

FLSM

Return to “Future Builds”